Sponsored

Transmission - should skip gears or not when accelerating?

Simoes

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7EB
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum!

I just traded in my 2018 XLT sport 2.7EB due to some transmission issues and picked up a 2021 XLT sport 2.7EB. In the limited time I've had it, I've noticed that it shifts gears differently than my old truck. The transmission in the 2018 truck would almost always skip gears (double-step shifting) when starting from a complete stop. Apparently that was normal and a desired function. However, in my new truck, I have noticed that it goes through every gear (single gear shifting) when starting from a stop. The only time it uses the double-step shifting is when it is downshifting to come to a complete stop. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as I'm a bit paranoid now due to some bad transmission experiences with my old truck.
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Welcome to the forum. My former ‘18 skip shifted in Normal mode. My ‘21 does the same unless I’m in Sport mode where it runs through each gear sequentially. My guess is that the trans might decide to skip shift depending on the amount of throttle input.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum!

I just traded in my 2018 XLT sport 2.7EB due to some transmission issues and picked up a 2021 XLT sport 2.7EB. In the limited time I've had it, I've noticed that it shifts gears differently than my old truck. The transmission in the 2018 truck would almost always skip gears (double-step shifting) when starting from a complete stop. Apparently that was normal and a desired function. However, in my new truck, I have noticed that it goes through every gear (single gear shifting) when starting from a stop. The only time it uses the double-step shifting is when it is downshifting to come to a complete stop. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as I'm a bit paranoid now due to some bad transmission experiences with my old truck.
Did your old truck have the 10 speed, and how many miles are on your new truck? The computer takes a while to adapt to your driving style for lack of a better explanation, so I wouldn't get too freaked out by transmission shifting weirdness until you have a few hundred miles on it.

OP
OP
Simoes

Simoes

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guess is that the trans might decide to skip shift depending on the amount of throttle input.
I've been pretty light on the throttle so far so that might be the reason it goes through all the gears lol Ford was unable to figure out the cause of my tranny problems last time so I guess I might be a bit gun shy. Tomorrow I'm going to give it more gas and see what happens...

OP
OP
Simoes

Simoes

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did your old truck have the 10 speed, and how many miles are on your new truck?
It had the same 10 speed transmission. I just picked it up on Saturday. It has like 500 miles.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I wish the numbers were larger on the gear indicator. I haven’t been able to see it shifting around town and it’s too small to see with my peripheral vision. The roads around here have troubles with jaywalking in addition to the bad drivers and I always look down the road.

I do know that the transmission is super smooth in normal and eco mode. I can’t even tell when it’s shifting. It’s got the heavy duty springs and 3.73 gears, so I feel the rear axle more than anything. Most of the time, the engine is turning at 1200rpm and the transmission is doing all the work. It’s pretty flat here, so when I do look down to check the gauges, I am usually in at least 3rd gear and sometimes 8th gear just going 40mph as it short shifts, if I give the pedal more than a tickle, it will sometimes go down to 5th. I was on the highway for a few miles last night and I never saw it in 10th gear.

My Lincoln has the DOHC 5.4V8 and it gets better MPG when you give it the gas and keep the RPMs high, however, it only has a four speed transmission. I get 12MPG if I putt around like my old pushrod trucks, but if I drive it like I’m in a hurry, I will get 18MPG, same for highway driving, it will get better MPG going 80mph than 65mph and it seems whenever I am in traffic, I am stuck between gears.

With the 10 speed transmission, the truck is happy at any speed except for in the parking lots. I think that is more to do with the gearing of the rear axle. I am interested to see how it tows and how it fares in the mountains.

OP
OP
Simoes

Simoes

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just as a follow up, after having the truck for 1 week, the transmission is now double-step shifting. Guess it takes some time to adapt.
Sponsored

Last edited: