Sponsored

ESP vs MBI

Bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A EB BAP (ordered 1/15)
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) instead of an ESP. Geico advertises that their MBI coverage is just like an ESP except cheaper overall. Anyone experience this and recommend it over an ESP?
Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Just wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) instead of an ESP. Geico advertises that their MBI coverage is just like an ESP except cheaper overall. Anyone experience this and recommend it over an ESP?
Did you get a quote for that MBI?

OP
OP

Bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you get a quote for that MBI?
Yeah so MBI is $38 every 6 months with a $250 deductible (can't choose any other deductible). This is 7 years, 100k miles.

I got a quote from granger for the top Ford warranty with all the extras (keys, lights, etc), 0 deductible 8 years 100k miles for 2395.

I guess base cost of MBI, it would be way cheaper (would need 31 years for that 38 every 6 months to catch up to the 2395), but that 250 deductible could make it quicker if things started going wrong.

I guess my main concern is coverage. Unsure if MBI is as extensive as Ford warranty

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Here's one difference that is hard for me to ignore...... (the screen shots are from FordPass App. What's amazing about that is I did not purchase ESP at the time I ordered my truck or when I took delivery. Not even when I purchased it. Yet buying it later and paying ca$h, I got the huge discount mentioned above, as well as Ford populated the coverage into their Oasis database, which is reflected in everything that my VIN is associated with)

Ford F-150 ESP vs MBI Screenshot_20220721-130013_FordPass

Ford F-150 ESP vs MBI Screenshot_20220721-130029_FordPass

Ford F-150 ESP vs MBI Screenshot_20220721-130045_FordPass

Ford F-150 ESP vs MBI Screenshot_20220721-130111_FordPass

While I can't state unequivocally that a 3rd party policy wouldn't be respected equally to ESP, why take a chance?

By the way, I turned down extended warranty from my dealership at the purchase point because they did NOT want to offer me ESP, but rather some policy that they have a higher profit from selling.

Oh the irony in that! :)

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Yeah so MBI is $38 every 6 months with a $250 deductible (can't choose any other deductible). This is 7 years, 100k miles.

I got a quote from granger for the top Ford warranty with all the extras (keys, lights, etc), 0 deductible 8 years 100k miles for 2395.

I guess base cost of MBI, it would be way cheaper (would need 31 years for that 38 every 6 months to catch up to the 2395), but that 250 deductible could make it quicker if things started going wrong.

I guess my main concern is coverage. Unsure if MBI is as extensive as Ford warranty
as extensive and easy to uses as FORD ESP? thats the big question
especially if you are in BFE and the truck takes a crap and the dealer available has to go round and round with gieco to get even diagnostics covered

i have used zeigler as a warranty and as a bargaining tool with my dealer to get a plan at or less than zeigler for same ESP.
zero deductible is goign to cost more. go with a 100 deductible and your cost drop. gieco is 250?
i have a 84 month/100k mile with 100 dollar deductible . 1650.00 i showed the selling dealer my quote from zeigler and she was not about to loose a sale and offered me same coverage's but for a few dollars less

and dotn roll the warranty ESP into your loan pay it up front. or after sale. you have time

and ditto about ford pass, its IN THERE...nationwide no problem

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's one difference that is hard for me to ignore...... (the screen shots are from FordPass App. What's amazing about that is I did not purchase ESP at the time I ordered my truck or when I took delivery. Not even when I purchased it. Yet buying it later and paying ca$h, I got the huge discount mentioned above, as well as Ford populated the coverage into their Oasis database, which is reflected in everything that my VIN is associated with)

Screenshot_20220721-130013_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20220721-130029_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20220721-130045_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20220721-130111_FordPass.jpg

While I can't state unequivocally that a 3rd party policy wouldn't be respected equally to ESP, why take a chance?

By the way, I turned down extended warranty from my dealership at the purchase point because they did NOT want to offer me ESP, but rather some policy that they have a higher profit from selling.

Oh the irony in that! :)
Sorry, I might have missed it, but where is the discount for paying cash?

OP
OP

Bart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
especially if you are in BFE and the truck takes a crap and the dealer available has to go round and round with gieco to get even diagnostics covered

i have used zeigler as a warranty and as a bargaining tool with my dealer to get a plan at or less than zeigler for same ESP.
zero deductible is goign to cost more. go with a 100 deductible and your cost drop. gieco is 250?
i have a 84 month/100k mile with 100 dollar deductible . 1650.00 i showed the selling dealer my quote from zeigler and she was not about to loose a sale and offered me same coverage's but for a few dollars less

and dotn roll the warranty ESP into your loan pay it up front. or after sale. you have time

Thank you, those are all good points. I will have to get some quotes from Zeigler, Flood, and Granger to see who has the best deal as my quote is about 4 months old now.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I would bet with the Geico you would be OK but if you were going to use a Ford dealership to do any major work, the ESP would probably be a lot easier. Some places will not take 3rd party stuff so you pay them for the work and then you submit the claim to Geico. Not really a problem and Geico will not stiff you, but an extra cash layout and extra step.

My philosophy is that you buy insurance for the disaster, not the good times. The MBI will run out after 7 years, but the ESP will still work for 1 more year if you are under 100K miles. The deductible is $150 more so if you start to have a lot of problem (which is what I am trying to plan for) then the savings of the MBI starts to erode.

It could be a half dozen of one and 6 of the other so it really is a flip of the coin. If you do not have a Ford dealership by you then the MBI may be OK. If however you have a Ford dealership by you then the ESP would probably be a lot smoother.

When I pick up my truck at Granger I am getting the $100 ded, 8 year, 100K for $1650. I am guarding against the disaster and if I never need to use it, I will be even happier.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, I might have missed it, but where is the discount for paying cash?
Sorry. Didn't mean to imply paying cash got me a discount. Rather purchasing it from one of the 3 mentioned dealerships that offer it at substantial discount, does require an outright purchase (cash) rather than my dealership rolling it into financing.

Also note that I have traded in vehicles that I had purchased ESP from Zeigler/Flood and received a refund check promptly for the unused (prorated) amount. Those folks are as no-fuss as you can find and my recent purchase from Granger was smooth as well.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
as a side note
we bought my wifes 2012 used edge in 2018 , it had 52k on the clock
we got a FORD ESP quote from zeigler for 3yr/36 100 deduct. it was like 1800. the selling dealer beat it by 100 and did the survey inspection for free (normally thats about 200.00)
i just extended her FORD ESP for 3yr 36k miles for 1200. and my dealer paid the survey /inspect fee because i went through them and they again beat zeigler by 100..just to not loose a sale
that will bring us to 100k miles and i get piece of mind when she drives her car that 100 bux fixes anything that can go wrong
so far we have spent 200 in deductibles and esp fixed replaced all the struts and dash unit and camera under warranty as part of the esp, so it paid for itself already

i had a 3rd party warranty once because it looked like a great deal on paper, until the 1st time we needed it and it was a royal pain in the rear. every little thing had to be approved . even the diagnosis, . we ended up paying upfront and fighting for nearly a year to be paid back.
so i made the decision to always have ford/lincoln ESP on our fords or lincoln vehicles

if i ever buy a different brand i will search out their warranty to see f it it is what is best
zeigler got my parents a great deal on thier maverick. thier sellign dealer was a peckerhead and only wanted to sell 3rd party plan and would not budge on for esp price, so my parents bought one from zeigler

gieco may very well a great plan i have no personal exp with them. i would read and do my research on exactly what is what and compare

i will say carshield is over priced . 100 bux a month..that s nuts compared to ford esp

Last edited:

BCM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Retired

I live in Florida and Ziegler quoted me $3,400 for a 5 year/100,000 mile ESP warranty. Am I missing something here?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hmmm
On what vehicle and how many miles is on it currently?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
I live in Florida and Ziegler quoted me $3,400 for a 5 year/100,000 mile ESP warranty. Am I missing something here?
that seems HIGH imo

you need to call them and have a chat. is yours a powerboost ?
i dont want to waste quote, because i dont know your expected miles per year, 4x4 etc
but i use texas and lowest miles per year of 10k even though we generally go less than 8
100 deduct and included enhance rental, LED and key fob
Sponsored