First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Haven't seen this video and it's dated back in July 20 but has Hau Thai-Tang, Ford Chief Product Development, interviewed. Found it interesting, so thought I would share.

Sponsored

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
So the most interesting thing I got out of the Hau Thai-Tang part was how they are leveraging the new tech to increase revenue streams. We tend to lose sight of that sometimes. While most will enjoy the new SYNC 4 and it's features, it's just as much a benefit to Ford as it is to the consumer.

I wonder though how many people will will be uncomfortable with the data gathering on driving habits. This movement to track everything we do from social media to buying groceries in order to monetize our data is everywhere. Now it's even in the vehicles we drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So the most interesting thing I got out of the Hau Thai-Tang part was how they are leveraging the new tech to increase revenue streams. We tend to lose sight of that sometimes. While most will enjoy the new SYNC 4 and it's features, it's just as much a benefit to Ford as it is to the consumer.

I wonder though how many people will will be uncomfortable with the data gathering on driving habits. This movement to track everything we do from social media to buying groceries in order to monetize our data is everywhere. Now it's even in the vehicles we drive.
I caught that too. I wonder how long before we have to see commercials on the screen. Lol

He also said they can see how much certain options were used or accessed, to tell them if they still need to include them in their vehicles. Something like steering wheel shifters would be monitored and if not used a lot they would drop them from the future vehicle due to lack of actual use.

I liked though how they went to the user for real world feedback to determine what changes they would put in this truck.

There were a lot of good discussions.

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
I'm very, very eager to get my truck, but I'll tell you right now: The day the console starts playing ads is the day I sell the truck and leave Ford forever. ?

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm very, very eager to get my truck, but I'll tell you right now: The day the console starts playing ads is the day I sell the truck and leave Ford forever. ?
I'm with you 100%!

Sponsored

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
It may be sooner than you think. The infrastructure is already in place. You have a GPS connected truck with a microphone. Let's say you're having a conversation in your truck with a passenger about being hungry. I can totally see the console screen popping up with restaurant recommendations based on your location.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Everyone is gansta until your truck plays a 30 second ad before it unlocks from Park

Last edited:

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Take it one step father! Your insurance company has your vin, buys all of their customer data from Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler, then raises your rates or drops you based on your driving habits!

The benefits of our new high tech trucks and cars are amazing, the downside is
big brother is watching and waiting to dig into our pockets!

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Take it one step father! Your insurance company has your vin, buys all of their customer data from Ford, GM, Fiat/Chrysler, then raises your rates or drops you based on your driving habits!

I’ve got one more for you, for the sake of discussion:

State Governments could use that data some day, basing excise taxes and/or a future carbon tax on how many miles we drive or how many gallons we burn.

There is a potential for Big Brother, however unlikely or distant into the future. ?

Sponsored

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired

On the other hand, if you drive responsibly, your rates will go down. It works both ways...

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Thanks, Bob. That interview was one of the most enlightening discussions on how Ford sees the future of product development that I've heard or read. 'Data Connectivity' leading to better customer solutions, value enhancement and cost reduction was, all by itself, worth the viewing time. For those of us who've sat behind the one-way mirror and watched customers being shown new product development choices, you just KNOW you aren't getting a full reading of the customer's need back in their work place. There were lots of gems about how the product development process changed once Hackett joined Ford. And the bonus was to learn why Ford seats are now so comfortable, I think. They feel just like the premium Steelcase desk chair product, which is from where Hackett was recruited. Fascinating stuff.

Jack

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Most people don’t want a truck tracking them but the cell phone sitting in console has been doing it for years, lol.
Sponsored