The Tried & True Workhorse ? - 3.3 V6

Hijacker

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F 150, single cab, 4x4, 3.3l
I just ordered the 3.3l last week. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

Single cab, 6.5 feet box, 4 x 4. Maybe should of went supercab...

My plans is to only haul a slide on camper, half a dozen times are year during the summer.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I just ordered the 3.3l last week. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

Single cab, 6.5 feet box, 4 x 4. Maybe should of went supercab...

My plans is to only haul a slide on camper, half a dozen times are year during the summer.
An honest to goodness pickup. Good build!!

Flathead

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Retired
I’m looking to buy a F150. Read a couple places the 3.3 motor is light on power. I don’t like turbo motors, at least on passenger vehicles. Has anyone ever put a chip or programmer modification on their truck?

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Hi, I don't think anybody is tuning the 3.3. It's a fine engine for a daily driver but its the most basic engine. I personally don't care for turbo either. Ended up with the 5.0 which is basically the 3.3 with 2 extra cylinders. Well worth the extra money!

Sponsored

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I’m looking to buy a F150. Read a couple places the 3.3 motor is light on power. I don’t like turbo motors, at least on passenger vehicles. Has anyone ever put a chip or programmer modification on their truck?

Which is odd given the 3.3 has more power than V-8's in trucks did 20 years ago. I go back and forth on ordering the 3.3 vs. 2.7 I want 4 x 4 extended cab and 6.5 bed. All I'll ever tow is a bass boat and mainly flat ground. I want good hwy milage and don't want to be in for repair even under warranty all the time. This will be my first and last truck and want it to last 20 years like all our family cars have.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Which is odd given the 3.3 has more power than V-8's in trucks did 20 years ago. I go back and forth on ordering the 3.3 vs. 2.7 I want 4 x 4 extended cab and 6.5 bed. All I'll ever tow is a bass boat and mainly flat ground. I want good hwy milage and don't want to be in for repair even under warranty all the time. This will be my first and last truck and want it to last 20 years like all our family cars have.
Either one seems like a good motor for your application. Both are supposed to be extremely reliable. Go with whichever would give you more peace of mind.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I had a 3.3 in my 2018 and now I have the 2.7 ecoboost in my 2021.
If I were to do it again I would’ve got a 3.3 in my 2021.
The 2.7 may sometimes feel a little faster off the line but I didn’t buy this truck to go fast.
The 3.3 is more reliable, easier to maintain and much better fuel efficiency.
If I ever get another F150 I would’ve love a 5L but the new gas prices shot that idea down a few weeks back.
I have thought about the power boost just to be able to have a mobile generator but too many folks on here telling scary stories about all kinds of problems.
I’m not a very fancy guy so in my honest opinion, the 3.3 is the best option.

pg318

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Supercab
Occupation
Engineer
You don't hear a lot about that engine, mostly I think because it's been around a while (in differing capacities) and most of its issues have been sorted. Likewise the 6R80 that it debuted with in 2018, when I bought a supercab with that combination and the 3.55 'economy' axle. I bought it then because there were big discounts to get rid of the lower spec models, since everyone seemed to be going for the Ecoboosts.
It has good power, if you put the transmission in sport mode and let it sing, but the economy programming keeps the engine speeds low, and the performance is then pretty sedate.
I can average over 25pmg, but when towing anything bulky, the transmission has stay stay down a gear, there just isn't the torque available in the top gear. A higher axle ratio would help. I still averaged about 18mpg towing a pair of church organs (not at all aerodynamic), and about the same towing a small car on a dolly (about 4000lbs total), both over about 700 miles.

ManOfSteel64

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1989 F150
Occupation
Auto Worker
Just wondering about the water pump issues I have heard about in the 3.3, I was thinking of getting one. Has the problem been resolved?

Sponsored

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
Putting out a solid 295 horsepower and 265 pound feet of torque, the 2021 Ford F-150’s 3.3 liter naturally aspirated V6 is the base engine and the workhorse of the lineup.

Fleet, rentals, and small businessmen and women alike will probably make up the majority of the take rate for this engine.

As long as the F150gen14 forum has been up, this engine has been easily overlooked by the more powerful and intriguing EcoBoosts and PowerBoosts. I figured I’d get this thread going to show it some love!

C8EA7D1F-22E8-446E-AFAE-251D5EC037BA.jpeg

What do you all think of this engine? Does anyone have this engine on their build?
I had a 2020 F150 XLT rcsb 2wd with the 3.3. I love that engine. Its operates so smoothly and reliableity second to none. Plenty of power. I now have a 2021 RCSB FX4 with 5.0 10spd auto. Its fast but the 2020 with the 3.3 was way smoother operation

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
While I'm also an Ecoboost junky, on my 5th in Powerboost form currently, I still own a 2012 F150 with the NA V6 and a 2017 E350 family van with the appropriate version for that year model.
Both have been bullet proof vehicles and asked to work hard on occasions. The 2017 is approaching 200,000 miles and the F150 125,000
They definitely lack torque down low, but both are willing to spin the necessary rpms if you make the demand.

Very reliable motors in my opinion. There are tons of fleet vehicles with that drivetrain.

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I had a 2020 F150 XLT rcsb 2wd with the 3.3. I love that engine. Its operates so smoothly and reliableity second to none. Plenty of power. I now have a 2021 RCSB FX4 with 5.0 10spd auto. Its fast but the 2020 with the 3.3 was way smoother operation
Was it smoother because of the 6 speed or the engine?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Just wondering about the water pump issues I have heard about in the 3.3, I was thinking of getting one. Has the problem been resolved?
I was wondering that too when looking into the F-150.

If I recall correctly, the 3.3 water pump issues are related to the transverse installations in vehicles like the FWD based Explorer; where the water pump is internally installed and when the packing gland fails, the weep hole leaks coolant directly into the chaincase.

It was two years ago but I think one of the sales managers even pointed out the external water pump on the 3.3 in the F-150.

Good luck!

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
I have been driving F-150s & E-250's with the base 6 for decades as they are a major part of our fleet vehicles.

They are beat on regularly, cared for intermittently but have shown great reliability in my experience.

I think a lot of people including myself get hung up on big #'s when it comes to HP.

Maybe its a want, maybe its a need or maybe its just really good marketing!

But people were towing boats and trailers for years with a lot less. Just saying.
Sponsored

Last edited: