First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Just got a reverse lowering treatment today on my 2021 FX4. I'm one of those guys that doesn't really need the full capabilities of a truck (hauling heavy loads, towing, off road use) but have one anyway. It's great for mountain bike trips, moving furniture, round the house stuff, family trips because there is a lot of room in the bed and it's weather proofed with the cover. If I needed a truck for towing or off road use I would not have gone this route. I also strive for the best mpg I can get. If I could go back in time I would have sold my stock 18" wheel/tire setup (and not upgraded my tires) and purchased 20" wheels with mild all terrains. My current set up works great but I like the way 20" wheels look and could have something that looks better to me.

MaxTrac 1" lowering shackles (drops 1.25"). No cutting required, bolts right up. Do not have to remove the gas tank or cut bed supports. Modification is required to install the 2" shackle.
Removed stock 4x4 blocks
Rear sits 3/8" higher than the front now.
Tires are General Grabber ATx 275/70/18 SL (33").
Cost was:
1" Drop Shackle - $92.41 shipped
$166.50 labor to install the shackle
$195.00 labor to remove the blocks
$25 for washers to go on the u-bolts
$26.21 shop supplies
$29.92 tax
Total = $534.04

I feel that I was overcharged a bit, but I trust the work of the mechanic at the shop as I know him from outside of that shop, and not necessarily the shop owner. Before paying the shop I tried to remove the stock blocks myself and wasn't able to do it unless I bought some additional tools and I really didn't feel like messing with it in my driveway. I was told 0.9 hours labor for the shackles and I just gave them the green light based on that info. I got a little sticker shock today when I saw the bill. Maybe it's fair and maybe it's not but I'm glad it's done and I like the way it looks. Its way easier to load things into the bed now. When these tires wear out I'll size up to 20" rims and I think it will look even better.

Ford F-150 My reverse level (lowering) experience using drop shackles f-150
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
looks level and fills the wheel wells
may i ask why you had to go with drop shackles vice just removing the 2" block on under the springs?
thanks

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
may i ask why you had to go with drop shackles vice just removing the 2" block on under the springs?
thanks
The blocks are a hair under 1.25" thick and I wanted more drop than that. I could have gone with 2" drop shackles but didn't want to modify the bed support. If the blocks were actually 2" thick I would have just removed them and not worried with the drop shackles.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
thanks
The block are just under 1.25 inches. I took those out and spend $2 at Tractor Supply on washers.

I get if the OP doesn't have and doesn't want the tools, but that's a very expensive bill. With the tools they undoubtedly have the blocks are a 30 minute job. I suppose since I washed my hands after I had ten cents in shop supplies.

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The block are just under 1.25 inches. I took those out and spend $2 at Tractor Supply on washers.

I get if the OP doesn't have and doesn't want the tools, but that's a very expensive bill. With the tools they undoubtedly have the blocks are a 30 minute job. I suppose since I washed my hands after I had ten cents in shop supplies.
Yeah it's not sitting well in my stomach but I chose not to argue about it with the owner and just pay it. I won't be returning and will be taking my business elsewhere because I think there is too much fluff in this bill. I will say that when I reached out to the owner about installing a front leveling kit (puck) his price was high but he said he'd match the price of any other shop that I could get a quote from. I didn't follow up on that offer as I decided not to raise the front.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have a 21 SuperCab with an 8’ box and I am considering doing this.
the only reason I have a 4x4 is so I can get in and out of my very sandy back yard, or if I decide to take a trip in foul frozen weather.
getting the back of this thing down will make it easier to get stuff in and out of the back.
I don’t tow enough to really be concerned about squat, but the truck has better than 2000lb payload, so not concerned at all.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Looks good, sometimes we may overpay, but its always worth it in the end!!

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
Man, having heavily modified vehicles in the past (and I mean HEAVILY) and had LOTS of shop work done, those rates don't seem at all bad for having a shop you trust do the work. Honestly, these trucks are so cheap to modify, $500 to make that change is nothing.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
they did not replace the u bolts correct?
i have never re-used u bolts but the sliding out of the 1.25 block and adding a few shims to the u bolts to soak up the threads seems like an very easy do .
i like the leveled look.
i am still on fence to add a bushing up front or remove the rear blocks. my truck has quite the rake, in comparison to the 250 it replaced

Ford F-150 My reverse level (lowering) experience using drop shackles 20220423_145153

Ford F-150 My reverse level (lowering) experience using drop shackles measurements (1)

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
@Littlefield82
I think it’s a little high, but not crazy. I did shackles on my old 14 Tremor, and removed blocks on my current truck. The shackles are a bit of a pain. Raise this, remove that, lower the axle, raise the axle, lol.

But really the charge for the blocks and the washers is a bit over the top. Anyway, it looks great, just move on with life. If I ever swap to Tremor wheels, I’ll let you know, lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
Do you have to do anything special due to the change in angles of the driveshaft or anything? Like long term is this fine?

Anyone know if I could run 34s with this setup?

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
Just got a reverse lowering treatment today on my 2021 FX4. I'm one of those guys that doesn't really need the full capabilities of a truck (hauling heavy loads, towing, off road use) but have one anyway. It's great for mountain bike trips, moving furniture, round the house stuff, family trips because there is a lot of room in the bed and it's weather proofed with the cover. If I needed a truck for towing or off road use I would not have gone this route. I also strive for the best mpg I can get. If I could go back in time I would have sold my stock 18" wheel/tire setup (and not upgraded my tires) and purchased 20" wheels with mild all terrains. My current set up works great but I like the way 20" wheels look and could have something that looks better to me.

MaxTrac 1" lowering shackles (drops 1.25"). No cutting required, bolts right up. Do not have to remove the gas tank or cut bed supports. Modification is required to install the 2" shackle.
Removed stock 4x4 blocks
Rear sits 3/8" higher than the front now.
Tires are General Grabber ATx 275/70/18 SL (33").
Cost was:
1" Drop Shackle - $92.41 shipped
$166.50 labor to install the shackle
$195.00 labor to remove the blocks
$25 for washers to go on the u-bolts
$26.21 shop supplies
$29.92 tax
Total = $534.04

I feel that I was overcharged a bit, but I trust the work of the mechanic at the shop as I know him from outside of that shop, and not necessarily the shop owner. Before paying the shop I tried to remove the stock blocks myself and wasn't able to do it unless I bought some additional tools and I really didn't feel like messing with it in my driveway. I was told 0.9 hours labor for the shackles and I just gave them the green light based on that info. I got a little sticker shock today when I saw the bill. Maybe it's fair and maybe it's not but I'm glad it's done and I like the way it looks. Its way easier to load things into the bed now. When these tires wear out I'll size up to 20" rims and I think it will look even better.

f-150.jpg
I will say this... your truck looks killer like that.

One thing I'm not a fan of all the lifted/levelled trucks is that you have a much bigger fender gap on top of the wheels than infront / behind the wheels... this really seems to clean that up.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
It’s a bit late now but did you consider the Ford Performance Parts lowering kit?

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
Anyone know if I could run 34s with this setup?
These is no issue running 34s on a reverse level. Any clearance issues you’d run into would be in the front, not the rear. People are running 285/65/20s on stock trucks, which works out to a 34 1/2” tire.

fluffernutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat PB