Sponsored

Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue.

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
I am starting this thread after visiting with the local Ford dealer and understanding that Ford has made no design changes to the 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle in spite of all of the consumers whose vehicles have ended up being affected by the high rate of failure of the Axle Retainer bolt.

From all I have read Ford will, more often than not, ‘retain’ your vehicle if they discover your axle retainer bolt is broken until such time as they can replace the axle, yes the axle, and hub that is apparently part of the two part system. I’ve seen many here claim that Ford will say it’s a safety issue to keep it until they fix it. Personally, I think it’s because they don’t want to have to fix worse damage to other axle and brake parts if the vehicle continues to be driven.

Regardless, if Ford Service keeps citing safety, but there has been no change since this problem started showing up in MY21 F150s, then it may be time to engage the NTSB. If you have been impacted by this, you may find yourself helping yourself out along with the rest of us potential victims by going here,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

and going through the process to engage the NTSB.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
I am starting this thread after visiting with the local Ford dealer and understanding that Ford has made no design changes to the 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle in spite of all of the consumers whose vehicles have ended up being affected by the high rate of failure of the Axle Retainer bolt.

From all I have read Ford will, more often than not, ‘retain’ your vehicle if they discover your axle retainer bolt is broken until such time as they can replace the axle, yes the axle, and hub that is apparently part of the two part system. I’ve seen many here claim that Ford will say it’s a safety issue to keep it until they fix it. Personally, I think it’s because they don’t want to have to fix worse damage to other axle and brake parts if the vehicle continues to be driven.

Regardless, if Ford Service keeps citing safety, but there has been no change since this problem started showing up in MY21 F150s, then it may be time to engage the NTSB. If you have been impacted by this, you may find yourself helping yourself out along with the rest of us potential victims by going here,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

and going through the process to engage the NTSB.
im on the list already! Last count there are 5 reported with the NHTSA. These are all Max Tow, and doesn’t matter the engine or side. If you have had this problem. Report it and let’s get this taken care of.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Can you expand on this a bit more. What are the symptoms of this failure? Anything prior to the bolt simply failing?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
im on the list already! Last count there are 5 reported with the NHTSA.
Is there a link to see those reports? Thanks.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
5? Gonna take a heck of a lot more than 5.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you expand on this a bit more. What are the symptoms of this failure? Anything prior to the bolt simply failing?
There are many on the forum that have had this happen, as well as folks on similar forums. No notice, bolt shears off. I’ve not seen any other description beyond that to describe the failure.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
While there have certainly been reports of this failure on this and other F150 forums, IMO the total count of unique cases reported is surely only a very small fraction of the number of trucks with the potentially affected axle.

That's not to say that Ford should not investigate and determine the cause for those failures and issue a TSB or recall when that cause is determined. I do suggest that if the problem were pervasive, we would have read of many more cases than have been reported on these forums which tend to be 'bad-news magnets'.

Some posts have alleged that Ford has already released an 'upgraded' part to address this, that limited availability of that 'upgraded' part is the reason for dealer delays in 'fixing' the problem, but so far, I've not found any post showing a part-number supersession which would substantiate that claim. Has anyone?

Of course, one would not expect a superseding PN or component re-design if the cause is not related to the parts but is related to improper assembly (e.g. over- or under-torque on the bolt in question leading to bolt failure).

Sure, if one actually experiences the failure it'd probably be appropriate to report that to the NHTSA - it certainly couldn't hurt and it might help spur action, whether the problem is pervasive or not.

Last edited:

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
Is there a link to see those reports? Thanks.
the link for the postings are here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/F-150%2520SUPER%2520CREW%2520HEV/PU%252FCC/4WD#complaints

There are a few listed under Wheels, and some listed under Power Train.
As for a new part. It does not appear to be a new design. So not sure if it was or not, but if it was there doesn’t appear to be any documentation of it.

how did I find out? What were symptoms of it happening? I found out durring a tire rotation. There were symptoms prior, if I let off the gas while driving, and then hit the gas slightly, I got a Big Bang and shudder. This would happen most, but not all. Other then that there really wasn’t any other warnings.

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From my reading, this axle is new in f150s in 21

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. 1827E454-817C-44BC-B8D7-1F238A664D89

Until someone loses a wheel, I doubt that they will issue a recall. Especially if there’s a problem with the design.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1827E454-817C-44BC-B8D7-1F238A664D89.jpeg

Until someone loses a wheel, I doubt that they will issue a recall. Especially if there’s a problem with the design.
So it's your feeling that a certain number of people have to die (much like getting a traffic light put up at a dangerous intersection) before a recall is designated? Hmmm, I wonder if Road and Track, Driver, or any of the popular Auto media are actually aware of this oddity in the F150 vehicles?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
So it's your feeling..I wonder if Road and Track, Driver, or any of the popular Auto media are actually aware of this oddity in the F150 vehicles?
I don’t feel that at all; it’s just how things seem to be.

Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. 68857BAA-413B-4877-8576-1BDF77F07C07
Ford F-150 Time to push for a recall on 9.75” 3/4 floating locker axle issue. 4EA5D794-0B02-4347-A624-B1CF615CCC1B

There’s the guy who picked up the forum news about the rusty rear axle housings:

https://m.youtube.com/c/Pickuptrucktalk/videos

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/contact/

As well as the guys who do TFL Truck and got 86’d from Ford press events for leaking manual transmission pictures of the new Bronco who also did a thing on the 3/4 floating axle causing supply issues:

https://m.youtube.com/c/TFLtruck/videos

https://tfltruck.com/contact/

Legacy media is practically useless, Road & Track reviews are about as useful for selecting a new vehicle as the old Playmate questionnaire was for picking up women at the Playboy mansion.

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t feel that at all; it’s just how things seem to be.

68857BAA-413B-4877-8576-1BDF77F07C07.jpeg
4EA5D794-0B02-4347-A624-B1CF615CCC1B.jpeg

There’s the guy who picked up the forum news about the rusty rear axle housings:

https://m.youtube.com/c/Pickuptrucktalk/videos

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/contact/

As well as the guys who do TFL Truck and got 86’d from Ford press events for leaking manual transmission pictures of the new Bronco who also did a thing on the 3/4 floating axle causing supply issues:

https://m.youtube.com/c/TFLtruck/videos

https://tfltruck.com/contact/

Legacy media is practically useless, Road & Track reviews are about as useful for selecting a new vehicle as the old Playmate questionnaire was for picking up women at the Playboy mansion.
Lol, points well made.

Ntsi

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 lariat Powerboost
Occupation
CTO
I can confirm there is a recall now for the f150 axels. I was just informed by my son, who is a sr. Master for ford. I will get the recall number.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
I can confirm there is a recall now for the f150 axels. I was just informed by my son, who is a sr. Master for ford. I will get the recall number.
Are you referring to the attached 2/14/2023 Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 22B34 (which has been posted in other forum threads)?

Please do not confuse a"CSP" with a "Recall", they are two very different things in terms of consumer notification (or lack thereof) and implementation / administration / NHTSA 'enforcement'.
Sponsored

Attachments