Sponsored

Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Checked my truck today. I bought it back on December 24th. Definitely have some rust but no where near as much as some other's. Curious to hear what people hear back from Ford. Not sure how I feel about this - not happy that there is rust on a brand new truck that certainly wasn't cheap...

IMG_0757.jpeg
How does the pinion side of your pumpkin look?
Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Checked my truck today. I bought it back on December 24th. Definitely have some rust but no where near as much as some other's. Curious to hear what people hear back from Ford. Not sure how I feel about this - not happy that there is rust on a brand new truck that certainly wasn't cheap...

IMG_0757.jpeg
Definitely seeing a pattern here regarding where the rust is on this particular part. Perhaps these axles were all facing the same way when stacked / stored and exposed to rain/snow.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Karl
I probably won't either in your case, you flew up there and had a long drive ahead of you and the cold weather was new to you I bet.

I'm sure you thought the rest of the truck looked good so lets move on. Thing is, Northerners expect this and just accept it, so even if they notice this while off loading they wouldn't say anything.

It's really not that bad but you could contact Albert and send a few photos and get him to write it up, they were the receiving dealer. That, I think would help your case plus, they seem to be all about customer satisfaction there.

That is salt exposure and I assume you have driven through some rain since out of the North salt treatment, so that should have removed most of the salt.

The same treatment I listed above will work for you, if Ford doesn't agree to fix. Time is the enemy here so don't wait too long on an answer for it will just mean more work for you.

Those things are actually made to take rust because the metal is so thick but not acceptable for my truck. Lol

If your heading to Jville anytime soon give me a yell, I'll help you with that. Then bear time! :ROFLMAO:
Bob, you can bring your expertise and paint brush to Texas anytime..
Haven't looked to see if I have any rust yet..
I'm still waiting on dealer to get my 0/2 sensor in..

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Bob, you can bring your expertise and paint brush to Texas anytime..
Haven't looked to see if I have any rust yet..
I'm still waiting on dealer to get my 0/2 sensor in..
LOL. Same here in Houston.

Sponsored

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
Here is another shot.

Talked to the dealership this morning and they seemed to be aware of the issue. Scheduled to me bring it in next week and said they would replace all the parts with rust.

Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? IMG_0765

OP
OP

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Here is another shot.

Talked to the dealership this morning and they seemed to be aware of the issue. Scheduled to me bring it in next week and said they would replace all the parts with rust.

IMG_0765.jpeg
That's great news! I'm hoping they do that on mine still waiting for an answer.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Here is another shot.

IMG_0765.jpeg
Hummm, not sure I would go that route. In fact I know I would not. You can create some other issues replace the pumpkin and axles.

Think I would go for rust removal and repaint.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
Here is another shot.

IMG_0765.jpeg
I really kind of doubt that they will replace a differential or axle because of rust. They might use some black rattle can and cover it up but that’s about it.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I really kind of doubt that they will replace a differential or axle because of rust. They might use some black rattle can and cover it up but that’s about it.
Yes that seems a little too good to be true. The labour is too costly let alone the cost of the new parts.

If this guy actually decides to go through with it he should find a nice clean spot on one of the parts that’s going to be replaced and put a not-so-obvious scratch mark on it and see if it’s still there when he gets his truck back after the “replacements”

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I was very surprised when we said they would replace the parts and the same thought crossed my mind - is that a good idea? Perhaps he was just telling me what he thought I wanted to hear. Appointment is next Friday so I'll see what happens.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
This Sunday I plan on going to my dealer and take a look under the 2021s. They have some of the early builds from November and December and maybe the worst ones are the early stock builds.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Which dealership Dan? I would be interested to see the amount of rust - you may find.

imgone10

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 FJ Cruiser, 15 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2021 Lariat.
Occupation
Construction / US Army 84-96
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? BAB10780-56D2-4949-BC40-FA05F9483AFE
Ford F-150 Rust on rear end of 2021 F-150 -- any others? 6468ED55-107C-4856-8E08-42CCB90C068E

This is mine I picked it up today, she was built 01-07-22.
Sponsored