First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Subscribed to the thread. So is it safe to assume if you have tow tech, tow pack w/360 or Max tow w/360 that you get this harness and sensor set-up versus the old sticker method.
Sort of. You still get the sticker kit but apparently we are waiting on a software update to configure the sticker. In the meantime, the harness with the sensor attachment appears to only apply to 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers. I can't get anyone at Ford or this thread to confirm that -- can you setup the sensor attachment on a conventional trailer?
Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Sort of. You still get the sticker kit but apparently we are waiting on a software update to configure the sticker. In the meantime, the harness with the sensor attachment appears to only apply to 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers. I can't get anyone at Ford or this thread to confirm that -- can you setup the sensor attachment on a conventional trailer?

Ok that makes more sense...stickers remain for conventional trailer and harness/sensor is for 5th Wheel/Gooseneck. Surprised that the sticker config is not already good to go since I assume it's the same technology from 2020. That is one of the top few reasons for me getting my 1st ever F-150. Hybrid, ProPower, Towing/Payload for my travel trailer needs and ultimately all the tech including all the back-up assist.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
My 2017 came with like 5 stickers and I only used 2 so I'm taking 2 to my new one in case it doesn't come with any. Hopefully if I get the "software update" I will be good to go.

It still seems baffling if the sensor doesn't work on conventional, and what do folks do with more than 1 trailer, it just seems shortsighted.

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
My 2017 came with like 5 stickers and I only used 2 so I'm taking 2 to my new one in case it doesn't come with any. Hopefully if I get the "software update" I will be good to go.

It still seems baffling if the sensor doesn't work on conventional, and what do folks do with more than 1 trailer, it just seems shortsighted.
Yea my 2016 XLT had the stickers and it worked great. Same stickers come with the 2021– you get a pile of them. Probably 5 but I didn’t count.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Finished setting up the airstream and hitch connections to the new Platinum today. I was happily surprised that I didn't have to adjust the weight distribution hitch, other than change the ball height!

Now to the stickers: Just like everyone else, I have a sensor and harness and a pack of 6 stickers. The manual states that once we get an available update to the truck, which the truck is eligible for, the Pro Trailer Backup Assist will default to sticker mode. Until then, if you want to use this feature, you have to mount the sensor to the trailer, and connect the wiring harness.

Hopefully the update is forthcoming soon. I have some camping and trailering to do!
:)

Sponsored

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
Finished setting up the airstream and hitch connections to the new Platinum today. I was happily surprised that I didn't have to adjust the weight distribution hitch, other than change the ball height!

Now to the stickers: Just like everyone else, I have a sensor and harness and a pack of 6 stickers. The manual states that once we get an available update to the truck, which the truck is eligible for, the Pro Trailer Backup Assist will default to sticker mode. Until then, if you want to use this feature, you have to mount the sensor to the trailer, and connect the wiring harness.

Hopefully the update is forthcoming soon. I have some camping and trailering to do!
:)
Is your Airstream a conventional trailer or gooseneck? I haven't tried to mount the sensor on my conventional boat trailer only because the instructions tell me to stick on a piece of the trailer that doesn't move with the trailer. I assume the wire harness is only for gooseneck trailers....

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Is your Airstream a conventional trailer or gooseneck? I haven't tried to mount the sensor on my conventional boat trailer only because the instructions tell me to stick on a piece of the trailer that doesn't move with the trailer. I assume the wire harness is only for gooseneck trailers....
Airstreams are only travel trailers, not goose/5th.

@dog_tired can you share some pics of your hitch setup?

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's conventional. Took it out for a test spin this morning. I can't wait to get the pro back up assist running.

Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’d like to see some pics too.

@dog What wdh hitch are you using?
Wish I would have seen this earlier! We took it out this morning and I disconnected everything when we got back home. I will take pictures later this week and I'll share them.

My WD hitch is an E2 with 1000 lb round bars. IT's the same one I used on the X5, and it's a bit overkill for a 6000lb GVWR Airstream, but I have never had any issues towing with the X5 (Florida, limited hills) and it was fine this morning.

One thing I'm happy to disconnect is the Prodigy trailer brake controller, and simply use the integrated one. Got it set even before pulling out of the drive, and very smooth braking at slow and higher speeds.

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I have reread the instructions and as I read it the sensor works with conventional trailers. You just place the sensor on tongue of the trailer that pivots during turn.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-F-150-TBA-QSG-Version-1_QG-EN-US_08_2020.pdf

If it ever quits raining and turns warm I will try it.
Yeah a picture would be super helpful. I'm stuck on figuring out where the vertical part of my trailer that pivots is. I have a winch post at a 70-80 degree vertical....

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Yeah a picture would be super helpful. I'm stuck on figuring out where the vertical part of my trailer that pivots is. I have a winch post at a 70-80 degree vertical....
I would think the placement would be on the v-frame about a foot back. The sensor is about the width of the frame.

DFlynn68

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Agriculture
I would think the placement would be on the v-frame about a foot back. The sensor is about the width of the frame.
I think youre right -- it seems to be the most logical spot. Will give it a whirl next weekend and post an update with pics. thanks!

TommyGun

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2013 Ford Escape
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
I did a Google Scholar Search for the patent for the PTBA camera targeting system and read through it. This led me to look more closely at my particular set up. The hitch I had was an extended one, and the drop was 4" which put the angle of the tongue at a slightly downward angle taking the trailer off-level. My thinking was that maybe I pushed the target decal out of the camera range to target it. Today I picked up a shorter hitch with a 2" drop which brought the decal closer to the rear camera and perfectly level. Still doesn't go into calibration when I try to set it up with the decal option. Sorry no progress to report. The more firmly backs up my theory that it's a design flaw in the 2021 - SYNC4 and not user error. Here are some diagrams from the patent document that helped me think it through. The Patent document can be found here:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/8b/d9/ad/0116291bf297a9/US9374562.pdf

If anyone has a contact at Ford's Design Team that can address this problem it would help.

Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.28.00 PM

Ford F-150 Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist Sensor Install Guide (2021 F-150) Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 10.18.14 PM
Sponsored