Sponsored

Anyone else feel the console shifter kinda sucks?

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
It seems really cheap and clunky to me..

Last night I was backing in to my driveway.. Hand on the shifter with it in reverse. Slightly pushed shifter towards park and the shifter moved itself to park. I really feel like you should have to press the button in to shift to park from reverse.

Otherwise, lots of slop there as well..
Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
It took me a little while to get used to this new shifter having come from the previous gen console shifter. The older shifter seemed more positive and robust.
The new one not so much.

That being said, I am now used to the new one and it doesn’t really bother me anymore.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX

Last night I was backing in to my driveway.. Hand on the shifter with it in reverse. Slightly pushed shifter towards park and the shifter moved itself to park. I really feel like you should have to press the button in to shift to park from reverse.

I changed my XLT Sport order to avoid getting that new shifter. I have a feel that there’s gonna be all kinds of issues with it. How do you feel about it holding up??

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I don't like the idea of how every shifter can fold down for a gimmick feature that a lot of trucks won't be equipped for.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I don't like the idea of how every shifter can fold down for a gimmick feature that a lot of trucks won't be equipped for.
Probably a cost effective thing for Ford to do. Design and use only one shifter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I haven't felt the same, seems very robust and solid to me. It is different from my 2018 but most of that seems to be that the hole thing is thicker than my 2018 was.

The shifts are tight and no sloop. You might should have dealer check it out.

Hugo

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SC Lariat 3.5 EB FX4 Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Law Enforcement
No problems here. It does feel different the way it rotates around that single point. I am nervous about the motor going out so I just leave it up. I don't have the work space console anyway. But to be honest I'm nervous about the whole truck with as many moving parts as it has from the motorized chin spoiler, air intake slots, motorized tailgate, etc. But this is the way all vehicles are going and I hope they've all been vetted through extensive abuse and testing.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I drove a KR at one of the test drive events.
That truck had the work surface.
I’m not sure, but I think the work surface folded up is a bit taller than the regular console lid. (Again, not positive, but it felt that it might be)
The shifter was just not comfortable to grip for me.
My kid’s Merc, the wife’s Trailblazer, and my old T-Birds were much more natural feeling for me.
And, spending virtually my entire life in in pickups with a stick, and holding onto a lever most of the time, that ‘natural’ feeling is kind of important.

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't felt the same, seems very robust and solid to me. It is different from my 2018 but most of that seems to be that the hole thing is thicker than my 2018 was.

The shifts are tight and no sloop. You might should have dealer check it out.
Then be glad it took an eternity to get your truck.. Every truck I've been in you can move the shifter back and forth about a 1/4" with it in park.. You can do the same with them in gear as well..

Not a solid feel when going from drive to reverse, sometimes you feel two detents and it's in reverse, other times it's in neutral.. The thing about it moving to park from reverse is crazy as well..

Need to get in another truck now that I've had mine for a few days and see how similar it is..

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I changed my XLT Sport order to avoid getting that new shifter. I have a feel that there’s gonna be all kinds of issues with it. How do you feel about it holding up??
I think it will be fine as far as longevity.. Just seems clunky to me..

Sponsored

JimboJames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ram 1500 ecodiesel 2x4
Occupation
construction subcontractor

i believe it does this when the door is opened slightly? it has happened to me a few times but i remember always being like ah that was my fault and not the truck's

OP
OP

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i believe it does this when the door is opened slightly? it has happened to me a few times but i remember always being like ah that was my fault and not the truck's
I know what you are referring to and it's not that.. I just need to get a video of it so everyone can see what I'm discussing..