laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Hi all,

I just picked up my Powerboost Platinum today. The fuel door is properly closed but the ajar message kept showing up on the dash. The service department was closed when I picked up. The message go away once driving, but every time I turn on the truck, the message comes back. I have no idea how the fuel door mechanism work, I only see a rubber tubing on the door and didn't see any latch. Looks like it's pneumatic. Anyone has the same issue? I saw that only the hybrid has the remote fuel door, very strange.
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Hi all,

I just picked up my Powerboost Platinum today. The fuel door is properly closed but the ajar message kept showing up on the dash. The service department was closed when I picked up. The message go away once driving, but every time I turn on the truck, the message comes back. I have no idea how the fuel door mechanism work, I only see a rubber tubing on the door and didn't see any latch. Looks like it's pneumatic. Anyone has the same issue? I saw that only the hybrid has the remote fuel door, very strange.
Have you tried using the button to open it again and close it?? If so it could be a sensor or not plugged in good.

OP
OP

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Have you tried using the button to open it again and close it?? If so it could be a sensor or not plugged in good.
Yes. The truck thinks the fuel door is open, it will not open again by pressing the button.

Sponsored

OP
OP

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Uh oh... Will you be able to fill up on gas if you can't get it seen by Ford in time?
I can still get the fuel door open since there is no latch on it. Just need to use my fingernail to pry it open. Schedule an appointment to get it checked by Ford this Friday.

OP
OP

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I read in the manual that the truck comes with a small plastic pry tool to get door open in case the door doesn't open. I think it's with the jack and funnel behind rear passenger side seat.
I bought it to dealer yesterday, they are going to replace the fuel door assembly, it will take a couple weeks for the part to arrive. The tech did try the emergency manual wire connection to the fuel door and it's broken.

RP77

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Product Manager
Having the same problem with mine. Did they have to replace the whole fuel door assembly, or just the rubber cover/cone at the end of the pneumatic system? The rubber cone in mine got caught (and cut) in the lever of the fuel pump while pumping gas, which resulted in the problem. How much did they charge you for the part?

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
Anyone know why the hybrid gas system is pressurized?

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Anyone know why the hybrid gas system is pressurized?
To limit vaporization /evaporation because the gas could sit in the tank for months. Not gonna happen with these F150's but they have to be pressurized anyway.

OP
OP

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Having the same problem with mine. Did they have to replace the whole fuel door assembly, or just the rubber cover/cone at the end of the pneumatic system? The rubber cone in mine got caught (and cut) in the lever of the fuel pump while pumping gas, which resulted in the problem. How much did they charge you for the part?
They replace all the components attached to the door but not the door itself.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
To limit vaporization /evaporation because the gas could sit in the tank for months. Not gonna happen with these F150's but they have to be pressurized anyway.
that makes no sense----then all the trucks should be that way----right???

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
that makes no sense----then all the trucks should be that way----right???
It's because hybrids (real ones) might have gas sit in the tank for months on end. The F150 is a hybrid with Powerboost and has to meet all the hybrid rules and regulations. Same reason it beeps backing up even though the ICE is often running instead of electric.

JC317

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
My fuel filler door had the same issue today. Filled the tank, closed the door, drove home and then the error message came on saying the door was open. I pushed in on it and the message was still on so I opened it manually, and the Little plastic piece that sits inside the rubber shroud shot out at me like it was spring loaded. Landed on the ground. I scheduled an appointment to have the dealer fix it, but then when I messed around with it tonight I was able to get it locked back in. I think it is just barely seated inside the fuel door, so you will have to be really careful when you remove the gas pump handle because if you bump it at all, you will dislodge it. I am going to have to try to figure out how to have some extras of those in the cab so that if I ever lose it, I have an extra one I can use.
Sponsored