First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
In 147 miles I have done roughly 45 percent electric. Although calculated mpg was bad lol.
How can your MPG be bad? Dividing 147 miles by gallons used should provide a large miles per gallon number.
Sponsored

Philibert

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 xlt sport
Occupation
Veterans
The problem with this theory is that the electric motor "boosts" the ICE when the ICE is running, so subtracting out the electric only miles out doesn't really give you a "non-electric" MPG. the system is integrated and cant really be separated that way.

All that being said, I have only had my PB for a few weeks but it seems to me that when you actively try to maximize your EV miles, you end up with lower MPG than driving "normally" and letting the system to it's thing, again in my very limited experience. I do agree with another post I read that using the cruise control seems to manage it better in most cases.
Of course, I didn't take in account that the "Powerboost'' was assisting the ''Ecoboost'' and take away loads on the engine. So the best way to calculate it is fill-up at the beginning and fill-up at the end and do the math.

And yes, driving a hybrid/plug in hybrid vehicle requires to adapt to a new driving style.

So we shouldn't drive a hybrid like we f***k; lot of speed no control ?

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
So we shouldn't drive a hybrid like we f***k; lot of speed no control ?
It took me a while to learn that "Fast and Furious" is OK for a movie title but no way to live, love, or drive a vehicle (unless you are getting paid to do it ;-}).

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The Powerboost is the KING of idle in a lot of ways. I knew I wanted one for the 7.2KW generator. I was already a multi year Ecoboost fan.
But I hadn't actually thought about the huge advantage of idle time as I often have to pull over and work from the truck for short-medium-long stints.

To be coddled in comfort and only require fuel burn for ~3 minutes per hour was a stunning discovery!

Philibert

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 xlt sport
Occupation
Veterans
It took me a while to learn that "Fast and Furious" is OK for a movie title but no way to live, love, or drive a vehicle (unless you are getting paid to do it ;-}).
Wise man you are Tosh, it took me between 40 to 45 yo to learn it. And by the way, I'm very comfortable with the lack of speed in my learning hump.

Philibert

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 xlt sport
Occupation
Veterans
Honestly, I wouldn't buy the Powerboost if mpg was THE most important desire. The 2.7 is a great value equation if fuel economy and overall cost per mile is paramount.

The Powerboost is more a Have your cake and eat it too package. 600ftlbs of glorious torque at your whim when needed, but great fuel mileage potential as well.
The 7.2KW rolling grid is PRICELESS cherry on top if you are someone who leverages it.
Hi Snakebitten, Is technically possible that 2.7 is borderline undersized about truck weight to HP to torque ratio.
How your truck handle in general; city, highway mpg, towing capabilities. Honestly I was looking for this 2.7 as an engine choice.
The seller point to me the PB to ''enjoy the capabilities of a full size truck''.
P.s. not my word I don't want to offend anyone.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi Snakebitten, Is technically possible that 2.7 is borderline undersized about truck weight to HP to torque ratio.
How your truck handle in general; city, highway mpg, towing capabilities. Honestly I was looking for this 2.7 as an engine choice.
The seller point to me the PB to ''enjoy the capabilities of a full size truck''.
I hope nobody is offended by your question. Lol

Don't let the number "2.7" mislead you though.
Both the Horsepower and Torque of that motor is MORE than all but a very few "Halo" 1/2 ton trucks.

In other words, only the largest V8 offering of GM and Ram can hang with it. Honestly even Ford's own V8 F150 has to work its butt off to hang with the 2.7

Have you driven one?
Do yourself a favor and test drive one back to back with whatever you think might be superior. It's a remarkable engine.

MitchCox

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
I will state that my experience regarding towing. I had a 2015 2.7 ecoboost and towed my 5000+ trailer around (tow mode), I felt it, I felt the engine having to work harder to tow that trailer. I towed that trailer roughly 3 days a week for 6 years, it got the job done, but I could feel it working hard to do it. I traded my 2015 in last year on a 2021 Powerboost, tow that same trailer (Tow/Haul mode), Honestly, sometimes if I didn't know the trailer was there, I wouldn't believe I was towing anything. The Powerboost pulls that trailer with what appears to be no effort at all. It could be the difference between the 2.7 eco and the 3.5 eco in the Powerboost, but man, in my experience, this thing tows like a dream!

Sponsored

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
I will state that my experience regarding towing. I had a 2015 2.7 ecoboost and towed my 5000+ trailer around (tow mode), I felt it, I felt the engine having to work harder to tow that trailer. I towed that trailer roughly 3 days a week for 6 years, it got the job done, but I could feel it working hard to do it. I traded my 2015 in last year on a 2021 Powerboost, tow that same trailer (Tow/Haul mode), Honestly, sometimes if I didn't know the trailer was there, I wouldn't believe I was towing anything. The Powerboost pulls that trailer with what appears to be no effort at all. It could be the difference between the 2.7 eco and the 3.5 eco in the Powerboost, but man, in my experience, this thing tows like a dream!
Your 2015 2.7 EB had the 6speed transmission and 325hp 375lbft where as the 2018+ 2.7 EB has 325hp and 400lbft; also it is now mated to the 10speed transmission. The extra 25lbft of torque and the 10speed made the 2.7 EB a wonderful configuration and compromise of power, economy, and fun to drive in my opinion.

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
I think technically the 2.7 is a better truck engine than anything in a half ton that came before it

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
The perfect application for the Powerboost
Except it's still using fuel to keep the battery charged.

I've done a weekend track day where I pulled into the pits having used approximately one gallon of gas and achieved 30mpg (huge tail wind). I ran the truck as a generator firing during the daytime and it sat at night. My mpg dropped to single digits from idling.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you are disappointed about the idle time and the fuel usage in generator mode, I gotta wonder what you know that even comes close to it?

I've never seen anything even remotely in the ballpark for quiet, convenience, and frugality.
Sponsored