Sponsored

Complimentary year of BlueCruise expected starting Q1/Q2 2022

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
This is fine with me too. Look, they need to get this right and safe. If it takes another few months that’s ok. And Tesla charges something like $10k for this, so it’s a good deal to begin with IMO. I hope they get me started soon, and the free year is a nice gesture.
Sponsored

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
keep us posted on this
So - I called the dealership ahead of my 3:00pm appointment today to make sure they knew what the issue is. They have not been informed by Ford on how to handle / what to expect / etc. The service advisor (to his credit) did talk with me for awhile and we discussed how he typically sees things like this rolling out.

As I expected, the dealerships aren't yet equipped with the "flash" of the software to handle this year. We agreed to cancel my appointment as it would likely be a wasted trip.

He did say that when they plug the truck and look for this update, that the software layer communication initiates directly from the Ford server and that Ford decides what is available to push down. That communication is all between Ford's service software and the truck. The dealer doesn't have a flash drive of sorts.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
So - I called the dealership ahead of my 3:00pm appointment today to make sure they knew what the issue is. They have not been informed by Ford on how to handle / what to expect / etc. The service advisor (to his credit) did talk with me for awhile and we discussed how he typically sees things like this rolling out.

As I expected, the dealerships aren't yet equipped with the "flash" of the software to handle this year. We agreed to cancel my appointment as it would likely be a wasted trip.

He did say that when they plug the truck and look for this update, that the software layer communication initiates directly from the Ford server and that Ford decides what is available to push down. That communication is all between Ford's service software and the truck. The dealer doesn't have a flash drive of sorts.
This is correct. If you read through the thread on flashing the ECU with FDRS you can see screenshots of what the tech would be seeing.

MikeYQM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost | 2013 BMW M3 Comp
When logging in to the Ford My Account, I used to see BlueCruise “Coming Soon” under Connected Services. I noticed today that it’s not there at all anymore. Bad omen?

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
When logging in to the Ford My Account, I used to see BlueCruise “Coming Soon” under Connected Services. I noticed today that it’s not there at all anymore. Bad omen?
Seems like it comes and goes from time to time. I've had it disappear and reappear twice now for me

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Seems like it comes and goes from time to time. I've had it disappear and reappear twice now for me
BlueCruise "Coming Soon" still shows on my account. Not holding my breath or particularly excited given Sandy Munro's review.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
This review?

296A39FD-70FA-446A-B776-951F5869B4A6.jpeg
FUNNY. Actually not basing my opinion on Sandy's review, but my perspective of BlueCruise performance as seen through his videos, compared to my personal experience with Tesla AP, and more recently using Tesla beta FSD on a daily basis, which is clearly both scary and far more advanced than either the Ford or GM "self-driving" systems.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
FUNNY. Actually not basing my opinion on Sandy's review, but my perspective of BlueCruise performance as seen through his videos, compared to my personal experience with Tesla AP, and more recently using Tesla beta FSD on a daily basis, which is clearly both scary and far more advanced than either the Ford or GM "self-driving" systems.
Yeah I mean I’m sure it will be fine. Ford and GM aren’t self driving. They are level 2 ADAS. Tesla is also they just are more aggressive. If you want self driving I would move to a city that has it like Phoenix or SF. The idea of self driving consumer cars is still a LONG ways off.

Either way I just like giving sandy munroe shit because he’s an old crank who stopped understanding digital technology once it moved past the fax machine.

People need to understand BlueCruise SuperCruise AP FSD etc NONE of these systems are autonomous. They are level 2 driver assist convenience features. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling you snake oil (including the manufacturers).

KenZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2022
Just finished a 5 hour trip each way with Bluecruise on interstate highways... over 95% of the time the system stayed in Hands Free Mode... the other 5% was a very effective lane keeping assisted with hands on the wheel.... Performed better than I expected and much less tiring... Just have to keep your eyes on the road or it will remind you... (a great feature BTW). Only minor complaint is occasionally when driving in the hands on mode, the system wasn't sensitive enough to determine my hands were in fact on the wheel and would tell me to put my hands on the wheel... I have 5 years experience in a Prius and it always noticed when my hands were on the wheel... The F-150 is a nice upgrade from the Prius... Easier to tow the boat as well...

Sponsored

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
In the shop as I am writing this......OTA software won't toggle on.............Blue cruise

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Yeah I mean I’m sure it will be fine. Ford and GM aren’t self driving. They are level 2 ADAS. Tesla is also they just are more aggressive. If you want self driving I would move to a city that has it like Phoenix or SF. The idea of self driving consumer cars is still a LONG ways off.

Either way I just like giving sandy munroe shit because he’s an old crank who stopped understanding digital technology once it moved past the fax machine.

People need to understand BlueCruise SuperCruise AP FSD etc NONE of these systems are autonomous. They are level 2 driver assist convenience features. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling you snake oil (including the manufacturers).
Mercedes is going to have an approved Level3 car this year in Germany.

Interestingly the difference in official definition between Level 2 and higher levels isn't really about the capabilities of the car to drive itself it's really about the amount of trust you can give it and allow the driver to pay less and less attention.

Being able to drive on unmapped highways or surface streets or drive while towing doesn't change the level.

Being able to let the driver take their eyes off the road (level 3) or fall asleep (level 4) is the standard.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
In the shop as I am writing this......OTA software won't toggle on.............Blue cruise
BC update or trying to load it for the first time (older ‘21 model)? Thx.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Mercedes is going to have an approved Level3 car this year in Germany.

Interestingly the difference in official definition between Level 2 and higher levels isn't really about the capabilities of the car to drive itself it's really about the amount of trust you can give it and allow the driver to pay less and less attention.

Being able to drive on unmapped highways or surface streets or drive while towing doesn't change the level.

Being able to let the driver take their eyes off the road (level 3) or fall asleep (level 4) is the standard.
I would argue Level 3+ has more to do with the amount of trust the manufacturer puts in it than the user, though theoretically they should be similar. I think this is one of the big disconnects in how a lot of consumers think about L2 systems (basically self driving!) and how manufacturers do (we refuse to take any liability!). Until manufacturers are willing to assume full liability I won’t fully trust the system, because they don’t either. I still think driver assists are great, don’t get me wrong, they take stress out of driving (especially on highway) and probably provide some extra safety. I just feel it necessary to remind people that right now there are not self driving cars on the road (outside the limited robotaxi deployments). If MB has true level 3 next year it could be a big development though I’m a little bit “I’ll believe it when I see it” based on discussions with engineers I know in this space, who generally seem to be less optimistic on timelines than general public…

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

Believe what you want. I have beta FSD in my Tesla. I can leave get in my car in the driveway in Boynton Beach, put in an address, and the car will drive there with no driver involvement, 90% of the time. Today we went to the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, about 18 miles away. The car left our driveway, chose a route without my involvement, made two left turn at traffic signals across huge traffic, stopped for an open ICW drawbridge correctly, made several more turns, navigated a two-lane road with no painted lines, stopped at an at-grade railroad crossing that was closed for a commuter train, waited correctly and then restarted when the train had passed and the gate raised, passed three bicyclists riding in the lane, which required waiting for incoming traffic and crossing a double line to prove the legal three feet clearance, navigated multiple roundabouts with no driver input, dealt correctly with landscaper trucks parked halfway in its lane, and made it all the way to the entry booth at the park. At that point it cancelled, gave up and demanded that the driver take control because it did not know what to do.

A lot of what I am seeing in FSD, which my car received on December 27 after passing a driver safety test, is edge case stuff that I thought would be impossible for the self-driving AI to solve - especially actions like passibling multiple bicycles with oncoming traffic - because I assumed that "violating" double yellow line rules, which is legal when passing a bicycle, would be too tough to evaluate and execute, especially when having to decide on relative closing distances with multiple moving targets on both sides of the road - but my car has been doing these things flawlessly. It also makes a some mistakes and cannot do some basic things like U-turns. But, damn, 90% of the tme, it really truly does get from point A to Point B and parks itself at destination, with all of the complexities of Florida driving in the Delray Beach area, living on the ICW and having to deal with drawbridges, at-grade train crossings, bike lanes and on-street bicyclists, passing I-95 ramps, and high traffic levels every time we go out to even the local Walmart.

In November I was one of the folks saying I don't think self-driving cars will be here in the next decade. Now that my Model X is literally doing most of the driving in EVERy situation on every type of road and even in parking lots and neighborhoods with no painted lines, with me as a very alert passenger, I'm not so sure. I do still say that my particular car will never drive without a driver in the seat, in denial of Elon's assertion just last week that it will be able to robo-taxi by the end of this year. I still think it is a long way away from solving some basic navigation problems, like out-of-date google maps, so it cannot actually find my house when returning home, but in terms of driving down the road on its own - it does it every day and for almost all of my driving - it sees things better and way more consistently than a human can, and gets better a couple times per week with OTA downloads. Until you've seen it in action, don't judge, because it is truly amazing (and admittedly, occasionally truly scary). BlueCruise, based on the initial videos, is very rudimentary by comparison (and by design). It is ALMOST up to the level of the Tesla AP (autopilot) functionality that I had in my 2014 P85D, eight years later. Tesla's current FSD is light years ahead of that.
Sponsored