Sponsored

5,000 LB. max for warranty without tow package?

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Probably not over a dozen people at Ford that can decipher the tow packages. It would be helpful if they would hire a person to do it.
Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Payload is really low on my powerboost with max tow. 1316 lbs truck is loaded down with options. For some reason I was expecting around 1500 lbs. I never buy a Ford without max tow because of the heavy duty bumper, axle, ect. But idk if If this is the right choice for this truck. Either way payload on a loaded powerboost is kinda low.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Payload is really low on my powerboost with max tow. 1316 lbs truck is loaded down with options. For some reason I was expecting around 1500 lbs. I never buy a Ford without max tow because of the heavy duty bumper, axle, ect. But idk if If this is the right choice for this truck. Either way payload on a loaded powerboost is kinda low.
Can you share your windows sticker? I’m getting a fairly well equipped max tow PB. Trying to figure out payload. The idea of towing a 7,000-10,000 lb camper could be out the window with 1300lbs of payload. Barely put the family in the cab...

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Check out my post here: https://www.f150forum.com/f82/tow-technology-vs-trailer-tow-packages-491149/index2/#post6796970

There is a lot of variation between trims, power trains, etc.

The bottom line is that Max Tow is not a great upgrade for PowerBoost due to the low payload, high cost, can't get the 36gal tank, and that PB comes with a 3.73 rear axle. Though the Max Tow might get the HDPP axle.
I had a chance to dig into this. It looks like we came to the same conclusion and even highlighted the same details from the same sources. I am probably going to stick with my max tow order since it is being built next week. I HATE paying the now $995 delta for just the the brakes and bumper over regular tow, but I don't like the idea of going down to 7,000lbs on my second order that doesn't have the tow package, but has a lot more value than either tow pack on a PB.

Ideally adding the solid stabilizer to the tow tech on PB would probably save a ton of cash and get you to the same place... but the fact is insurance wise it wouldn't show up and even then there could be something else Ford hasn't disclosed in all of these docs. Honestly, I only put my confidence in the documentation at about 80%

Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I had a chance to dig into this. It looks like we came to the same conclusion and even highlighted the same details from the same sources. I am probably going to stick with my max tow order since it is being built next week. I HATE paying the now $995 delta for just the the brakes and bumper over regular tow, but I don't like the idea of going down to 7,000lbs on my second order that doesn't have the tow package, but has a lot more value than either tow pack on a PB.

Ideally adding the solid stabilizer to the tow tech on PB would probably save a ton of cash and get you to the same place... but the fact is insurance wise it wouldn't show up and even then there could be something else Ford hasn't disclosed in all of these docs. Honestly, I only put my confidence in the documentation at about 80%
I agree I hate paying extra for just a stabilizer bar, though who knows what Ford isn't mentioning. At least I will have the peace of mind, stabilizer bar, and bragging rights for 11k towing:). I actually changed my 701A order to add the towing package. Doubtful I will over tow over a 7k boat.

For your order, I wouldn't bother changing the Max Tow, if it is about to go into production and can't change it. Not worth pushing it back a month or two. I had my dealer change it on Saturday. My truck is supposed to built on 2/1. Hopefully this change will make it in.

Apparently RAM does post payload and towing numbers based off your build. Ford really needs to do this as it would make a lot of people happy and remove buyers remorse. It also should be easy to implement, instead of leaving us and dealers guessing.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I agree I hate paying extra for just a stabilizer bar, though who knows what Ford isn't mentioning. At least I will have the peace of mind, stabilizer bar, and bragging rights for 11k towing:). I actually changed my 701A order to add the towing package. Doubtful I will over tow over a 7k boat.

For your order, I wouldn't bother changing the Max Tow, if it is about to go into production and can't change it. Not worth pushing it back a month or two. I had my dealer change it on Saturday. My truck is supposed to built on 2/1. Hopefully this change will make it in.

Apparently RAM does post payload and towing numbers based off your build. Ford really needs to do this as it would make a lot of people happy and remove buyers remorse. It also should be easy to implement, instead of leaving us and dealers guessing.
I went in to change it last week... but it was too late. I did have them order a second truck, but I am 90% going to go witb the one being built next Friday with max tow. Just stings to pay all that money for the just a bumper and hopefully a rear end? Won’t ever use it, 11,000 would be more than sufficient, but hey, bragging rights, safety, and resale is something, right?

I’m too close to getting it to realistically start over. I want my truck, badly.

Edit. Looks like the 9.75 Rear axle is on all power boosts.

Ford F-150 5,000 LB. max for warranty without tow package? 06275B93-D2DA-47D4-90D7-22C2CF703BB5

Last edited:

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I went in to change it last week... but it was too late. I did have them order a second truck, but I am 90% going to go witb the one being built next Friday with max tow. Just stings to pay all that money for the just a bumper and hopefully a rear end? Won’t ever use it, 11,000 would be more than sufficient, but hey, bragging rights, safety, and resale is something, right?

I’m too close to getting it to realistically start over. I want my truck, badly.
Yeah don't blame you. The 701A 4x4 PB Max Tow that they had in stock was very tempting. Don't mind black, though the max tow, folddown storage, moonroof, spray in bed liner all add cost and reduce payload. Would have gotten the twin panel in a heartbeat, if there weren't so many complaints.

Here is my build: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/pages/tracker/?VIN=1FTFW1EDXMFA94160

Doesn't show the tow package yet

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Can you share your windows sticker? I’m getting a fairly well equipped max tow PB. Trying to figure out payload. The idea of towing a 7,000-10,000 lb camper could be out the window with 1300lbs of payload. Barely put the family in the cab...
Ford F-150 5,000 LB. max for warranty without tow package? 20210117_191954

Ford F-150 5,000 LB. max for warranty without tow package? 20210117_192050

Ford F-150 5,000 LB. max for warranty without tow package? 20210117_192043

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Yeah. In my case I'm towing a 8k lb boat I'm not going to worry about over loading. Don't keep a vehicle more than 4 or 5 years. I was disappointed in the payload on this one but it drives so good quite, powerful and smoothest ride riding truck I've ever been in. The more I drive the better it gets.

In your case if you haul long distance with camper that might be to much. It's not hurting the truck I personally worry about. It's towing that kind of load the safety of control, braking and sway especially in bad weather and heavy traffic.

Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
After a few threads of payload stickers and comments can I deduce that my order of a Lariat 501A PB 4X2 with power tailgate, and trailer tow (not max tow), will have a payload around 1600-1700#'s. Could it be any higher?

F150platty

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Expedition, 2021 F-150
Do you gain payload/towing capacity with a longer (6.5ft bed)?

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Thanks for sharing! I’m less the power running boards, fx4, and the 7.2kw. Probably nets me close to 1400lbs but I’ll have to hope.
Seems like max tow makes it less. Not sure if running boards will do that much differently.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Seems like max tow makes it less. Not sure if running boards will do that much differently.
Should be about 30lbs for skid plates and 30lbs for power running boards. Who knows that might be the only delta.
Sponsored