Sponsored

2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts

Agate_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
What's up everybody.
New to the group, but thought I'd post up some info that I put together from swapping the Tremor Skid Plate to my Lariat 5.0.

I've posted about this on a few of the Facebook groups, but for those that are not part of these, figured I would share for as well.

Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts Truck2
Parts are as follows:

Left/Right Valence Pieces -
ML3Z-17626-DA
ML3Z-17626-AB

Center Lower Bumper Piece -
ML3Z-8419-DAPTM (requires paint)

Center Lower Bumper Piece Bracket (Not required to make the swap work, but including to complete the list)
ML3Z-8419-A

Skid Plate -
ML3Z-5D032-B

Frame Brackets for forward plate mounts -
I used eBay special "raptor skid plate brackets" (Recommend painting these as they are cheaply coated and prone to rusting)

M6 Spring Clips - Used (2), but I would get a pack of 10
M6-1.0x25 Bolts - Used (4), but I would get a pack of 10
(2) of each of the above were used for mounting the rear of the plate to cross member, and the other (2) bolts were used on lower bumper piece

In order to complete the swap, you will need to remove the active air dam assembly from the truck. Also, to access all of the factory lower valence nuts, I would recommend removing all the fog light bolts to loosen those assemblies. Some of the nuts you can access from the backside of bumper some from fog light openings.

Copying @M4X post on the air dam removal as I did not take any photos during the process.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/removed-active-air-dam-from-my-f-150-diy-writeup.2246/

Still have access to removing the oil filter/etc as needed.

My truck is lifted (4" Zone Offroad kit), so I did have to modify the skid plate in order for it to fit above the cross member drop bracket (had to cut the belly of it)

Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts Truck1

Thank you everyone, and Happy Modding!
Sponsored

Jamescamp11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
What's up everybody.
New to the group, but thought I'd post up some info that I put together from swapping the Tremor Skid Plate to my Lariat 5.0.

I've posted about this on a few of the Facebook groups, but for those that are not part of these, figured I would share for as well.

Truck2.jpg
Parts are as follows:

ML3Z-17626-DA
ML3Z-17626-AB

Center Lower Bumper Piece Bracket (Not required to make the swap work, but including to complete the list)
ML3Z-8419-A

Skid Plate -
ML3Z-5D032-B

I used eBay special "raptor skid plate brackets" (Recommend painting these as they are cheaply coated and prone to rusting)

(2) of each of the above were used for mounting the rear of the plate to cross member, and the other (2) bolts were used on lower bumper piece

In order to complete the swap, you will need to remove the active air dam assembly from the truck. Also, to access all of the factory lower valence nuts, I would recommend removing all the fog light bolts to loosen those assemblies. Some of the nuts you can access from the backside of bumper some from fog light openings.

Copying @M4X post on the air dam removal as I did not take any photos during the process.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/removed-active-air-dam-from-my-f-150-diy-writeup.2246/

My truck is lifted (4" Zone Offroad kit), so I did have to modify the skid plate in order for it to fit above the cross member drop bracket (had to cut the belly of it)

Truck1.jpg

All in cost?

OP
OP
Agate_5.0

Agate_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
All in cost?
Right now about 1300 and some change. That'll be more when I get the lower bumper cover piece re-painted correctly in the spring. I just rattle can'd it and used spraymax 2K clear....Turned out good but I want it to be perfect.

Atsownz

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Limited
Occupation
Ford advisor
Which part needed paint??
What's up everybody.

Truck2.jpg
Parts are as follows:

ML3Z-17626-DA
ML3Z-17626-AB

ML3Z-8419-A

Skid Plate -
ML3Z-5D032-B

Truck1.jpg

Sponsored

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
OP
OP
Agate_5.0

Agate_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Thanks for pulling this together. Been going back and forth on either going this route or installing the RTR front skid plate.
https://www.rtrvehicles.com/collections/f-150-rtr-parts/products/f-150-rtr-skid-plate-18-20

While I like the look of the Tremor skid plate better, the cost difference will probably push me to go with the RTR route.
Cost has turned most away from doing the swap.....I wasn't sure how the RTR would look on the 21+'s as there has not been any photos of them (just the prev. gen). Be interested to see how they turn out!

DennisG

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Cost has turned most away from doing the swap.....I wasn't sure how the RTR would look on the 21+'s as there has not been any photos of them (just the prev. gen). Be interested to see how they turn out!
found this picture on the RTR website. not the best. but gives you an idea
Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts 1642699594149

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Lower bumper piece (silver)...located above the skid plate(also silver).
Sorry to piggy back off of this, i must be looking at the wrong area on your truck, or i am just flat out blind haha.

Isnt the whole skid plate silver? Or are you saying the area around the Tow Hooks is unpainted and it needs to be painted silver?

Sponsored

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
found this picture on the RTR website. not the best. but gives you an idea
1642699594149.png
nice find on the RTR photo, i was looking everywhere for some type of photos and couldnt find anything. I been emailing RTR on other 2021+ F-150 stuff but they have no ETA on when they may have stuff.

OP
OP
Agate_5.0

Agate_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Sorry to piggy back off of this, i must be looking at the wrong area on your truck, or i am just flat out blind haha.

Isnt the whole skid plate silver? Or are you saying the area around the Tow Hooks is unpainted and it needs to be painted silver?
Skid plate is powder coated silver already. The area around the tow hooks is not....it comes unpainted (its plastic)

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
Just playing devils advocate here. Not trying to sound insulting...

Does the Tremor use real skid plates or just thin metal and plastic? I looked at a factory full skid plate set-up on a regular '21 F-150 F/X-4 and it was laughable at best. Thin sheet steel and plastic for the engine/trans/X-fer case area and thin plastic for the fuel tank. These are NOT skid plates but better suited to preventing small sticks and rocks from being kicked up into the components so really more of a brush shield IMO.

I ended up ordering a full set of 1/4" thick aluminum skids from RCI for $1407 shipped and that included the new fuel tank straps you'll need that have the incorporated studs for the skid. They also have a steel option for less money.
I also got a 90deg oil drain plug set-up that allows easy oil changes through the hole in the RCI skid. So the oil goes straight down and not straight sideways. Since it threads into the stock drain plug hole it doesn't flow oil as fast of allow for as much oil to be drained out...the wall of the new piece is maybe 1/8" so you leave an extra 1/8" of oil in the pan...not a big deal IMO.

Just another option.

Darrell

OP
OP
Agate_5.0

Agate_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Just playing devils advocate here. Not trying to sound insulting...

Does the Tremor use real skid plates or just thin metal and plastic? I looked at a factory full skid plate set-up on a regular '21 F-150 F/X-4 and it was laughable at best. Thin sheet steel and plastic for the engine/trans/X-fer case area and thin plastic for the fuel tank. These are NOT skid plates but better suited to preventing small sticks and rocks from being kicked up into the components so really more of a brush shield IMO.

I ended up ordering a full set of 1/4" thick aluminum skids from RCI for $1407 shipped and that included the new fuel tank straps you'll need that have the incorporated studs for the skid. They also have a steel option for less money.
I also got a 90deg oil drain plug set-up that allows easy oil changes through the hole in the RCI skid. So the oil goes straight down and not straight sideways. Since it threads into the stock drain plug hole it doesn't flow oil as fast of allow for as much oil to be drained out...the wall of the new piece is maybe 1/8" so you leave an extra 1/8" of oil in the pan...not a big deal IMO.

Just another option.

Darrell
It is a skid plate, just like the raptor. Your option is cheaper....I just prefer the oem look, much nicer IMO. the other skids you speak of are a joke, I agree.

21mattf150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I bought the RTR skid plate and it doesn't fit. It would need significant modification to look good. There's about a 1 inch gap between the bumper and the lip of the skid plate. The curve around the front of the bumber is a different radius as well, so it's just a bad fit all the way around. I think it looks like crap and I wont put it on. I've got a 2021 F150 XLT

Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts 20220402_171534

Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts 20220402_171648

Ford F-150 2021+ F-150 Tremor Skid Plate Swap Parts 20220402_171846
Sponsored