Sponsored

What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150?

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order
After many years of having a 5th wheel I am looking to go back to a pull behind travel trailer now that I have a PB. Since we are mainly seasonal I won’t be towing most of the time, but the plan is to explore to a few new places during the season. I found a cougar floor plan that I like. Payload and dry weight are all in spec for the PB. Length is a little longer than I would like at 34 feet though.

Let me see what you tow and your experience towing a 30+ foot trailer with the new F150. Bonus if it’s a PB

Thanks!

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 789F5018-867B-4EC6-BA63-4708FCB368C7
Sponsored

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I pulled a 35 foot toy hauler around with the 21 3.5 Ecoboost worked well Max tow and all that, then i got another 21 PB, haven't towed with that yet, Now i just ordered a 22 PB. All max tow. They are thirsty but the HP and torque is there for the pull. But your way better off with the Proper truck! Miss this one!!

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 20190531_145730

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's all about Cargo Capacity, not Towing Capacity.
The mighty Ecoboost and Powerboost can "tow" like a freight train. They have more horsepower and as much torque as the classic F350 7.3 Power stroke of yesterdecade had. They truly are powerful trucks.
But they are 1/2 ton chassis with 1/2 ton payloads.

Now if Ford would allow us to put the Powerboost in the HDPP F150 chassis?
THAT would be the RV King of the 1/2 ton world!

Wouldn't you love your Powerboost with this sticker? (CrewCab 2WD)

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? maxpay1

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I pulled a 24' enclosed car trailer with a few half tons. That's all I'd want to drag around as far as size. I pulled out of Florida up to Kentucky and Michigan as far as long hauls. I also had a couple of 3/4 tons during that time also and they were so much happier dragging that trailer. Me? Camper = a 3/4 ton....

Sponsored

OP
OP
70Mach1

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order
You didn't share any weight specs, but regardless, I really doubt it'll work for you based on just your note about > 30 feet unless you and your family/pets weigh less than 250 lbs combined.

My current exp:
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/first-time-on-cat-scales-with-pb-and-tt.7811/
Thanks for the comment, but it will work payload wise. It has a light hitch weight. I’m more interested in everyone’s towing exp with longer trailers with the current gen.

OP
OP
70Mach1

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order
I pulled a 35 foot toy hauler around with the 21 3.5 Ecoboost worked well Max tow and all that, then i got another 21 PB, haven't towed with that yet, Now i just ordered a 22 PB. All max tow. They are thirsty but the HP and torque is there for the pull. But your way better off with the Proper truck! Miss this one!!

20190531_145730.jpg
Toy haulers can get heavy when loaded. I was originally considering a tremor with the 7.3 when they first came out, but wasn’t too thrilled with the gas mpg as a daily.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have friends that pull bigger than I am willing to with their F150 3.5 Ecoboost, but they have done some things to their trucks to improve the towing prowess.

1. Shocks. (oem shocks are for test drives that have the customer saying "wow, this doesn't ride like a truck at all)
2. Helwig rear Antisway bar. Huge improvement in truck stability empty and loaded.
3. Tires. A couple of them use Load E, not for weight requirements but rather sidewall stability. Again, under load it is very noticeable.
4. WDH These guys understand the physics involved and are masters of setting the WDH up for their rig

Still, even though I have done all these modifications, my personal limit is about 7500lbs of RV (GVW of RV. Not dry weight) because I travel loooong distances and enjoy being calm and relaxed. These other guys tow heavier than that and use up every pound of Cargo Capacity available.

I'm a full time RV liver, and I travel towing RV's other than the one I live in. (I have 4 RV's)
My favorite to tow is a small toy hauler that is 5500lbs loaded up. (see below) That's a sweet spot for the F150 pulling a parachute behind it. And like I stated earlier, I could pull a couple of more thousand and be comfortable with the mods to the truck.

There's some fantastic modern RV's that are built with weight saving engineering. They often cost a little more, but it's a worthy investment.

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? Hsweeth (1)

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 20180517_200703 (1)

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 20180517_113835

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I tow a 30 ft travel trailer behind my 3.5 ecoboost and I didn’t have any issues. I made sure the WDH was dialed in and everything was level. I was under payload with family and cargo. Farthest I went was Illinois to Florida. I had no stability concerns. I didn’t drive through any significant wind or weather, just a few rain showers and one light thunderstorm. I now have a 2021 Powerboost, but haven’t towed yet because it’s off season. I lost about 150 lbs in payload in the powerboost but my generator weights 110 lbs, and I had that in the bed when I went to Florida. So payload wise it’s mostly a wash. You have to load carefully and make sure you aren’t over the payload, as you can get close to capacity, but as long as you’re conscious about it I didn’t have any concerns. I certainly would not go any longer or heavier than what I have now. Just couldn’t swallow driving a 3/4 ton as a daily, and powerboost generator is going to be great!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Thanks for the comment, but it will work payload wise. It has a light hitch weight. I’m more interested in everyone’s towing exp with longer trailers with the current gen.
For the tongue weight, did you get that number of their site or from people that actually have one. Most people will tell you that the actual tongue weight can be almost twice what is published for any model. Good luck, don't make any assumptions, and cya. ymmv. Enjoy!

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
It's all about Cargo Capacity, not Towing Capacity.
The mighty Ecoboost and Powerboost can "tow" like a freight train. They have more horsepower and as much torque as the classic F350 7.3 Power stroke of yesterdecade had. They truly are powerful trucks.
But they are 1/2 ton chassis with 1/2 ton payloads.

Now if Ford would allow us to put the Powerboost in the HDPP F150 chassis?
THAT would be the RV King of the 1/2 ton world!

Wouldn't you love your Powerboost with this sticker? (CrewCab 2WD)

maxpay1.jpg
this guy gets it.

DSpyV

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 screw 5.0 STX
Occupation
Radiology
This is what I barely towed with my gladiator and am super excited to tow with my f-150. About 7000 fully loaded. Use a WDH w built in sway. If you have the brake controller and WDH dialed in correctly it’s amazing how much better the tow vehicle drives and handles.

As others have said, should watch out for payload more so than towing limits. By the time you add the hitch at the ball weight, the WDH, stuff in the bed, mods and other passengers and cargo, it adds up quick.

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 877CF371-75C2-478F-82BC-724EA9E2128A

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It has a hitch weight below 800 pounds? Because you are likely to have total payload of under 1,200 pounds. Payload on my PowerBoost is 1,140 pounds. A wife, yourself and a couple kids, your remaining allowable tongue weight is under 800 pounds without anything in the bed at all. - no luggage. A 30-foot+ trailer will weigh over 7,000 pounds and with 10-15% required tongue weight, you are at or nearly out of capacity. Here's my payload sticker. I am towing a 9,000 pound+ trailer (depending on how much fuel is on the boat can be over 10k), but when I do, cannot have any passengers or luggage, nothing in the back seat. I even take the tools from under the seat and put them in the boat. For long distances I relocate the truck's spare tire to the boat deck. This rig is legal by about 30 pounds, but ONLY with a half tank of fuel and with 100 gallons of fuel in the boat, half its capacity. I can take off the kayaks and carry my wife. In this configuration she is normally driving a trailing car, so no issue, but I am literally at the edge of legal.

In terms of experience, although not a TT, I did convert to electric over hydraulic brakes, and have it set up with weight equalizing hitch, so is quite similar, albeit taller. It tracks great at all speeds, does a great job towing, excellent power, feels as good as my super duties. I do also have air bags, but with light pressure (30 pounds in this pic). Bottom line is that it is the wrong truck for the job, and for the same price you can get a Super Duty, so why not? I have a specific reason to need a half ton truck (HOA rules at one property in Florida), but it has a huge efficiency disadvantage, with the gas turbos kicking in to get the power, producing half the range and fuel mileage compared to my Super Duties. Right tool for the job, and this isn't it. Hope this helps.

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? F150 payload sticker

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? f150 at scales

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 5mpgf150

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not every Powerboost has a Payload that low. (~1100)

Here's a Powerboost we bought for the office: (admittedly not dolled up real fancy, but tows the RV like a champ!)

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? 20210909_131652(1)

My Platinum has ~1400lbs and it's a luxury yacht.

I have a KingRanch on order that I am aiming for ~1500 by leaving off the panoramic roof and the powered tailgate.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I would point out that adding the weight distributing hitch makes it a lot more stable - my first 3,000-mile tow up and back I-95 last summer was without this due to having the old surge brake trailer system. Coming back to Florida a couple weeks ago I had the new weight distributing hitch and dual-axle brake upgrade on the trailer - was a whole new deal - way better - again, similar to towing with my F-350. Still not the right truck, but the right setup for this truck.

Pic of the new hitch setup. My trailer tongue weight is 850 pounds, I am 200 pounds, the kayaks total 275 pounds with the rack, so with nothing else, I am at 1,325 on paper, technically 85 pounds over the payload spec. However, the scales say otherwise, that I am 30 pounds under GVWR, and below both front and rear GAWR. Another factor is that I upgraded the OEM lightweight tires to true E-rated truck tires, so added some reserve, albeit not increasing the legal payload or overall truck capacity should there be a need to defend the rig's setup in court. But it is as tight as can be, and no hitchhikers or wives can ride along.

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? F150rack

Ford F-150 What’s the biggest tow behind camper you would pull with your F150? F150capacity
Sponsored