Powerboost 2.4KW upgrade to 7.2KW

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
I ordered a Lariat PB with standard 2.4KW in it. Now wish I did 7.2 but have no interest in changing order and going to back of line - it's not THAT big of a deal.

That being said - I would assume that most of the infrastructural wiring Ford does on both is the same (to save line costs), so I'm wondering if anyone knows if down the line, Ford will be able to install upgrades to take me from 2.4 to 7.2?
Sponsored

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I ordered a Lariat PB with standard 2.4KW in it. Now wish I did 7.2 but have no interest in changing order and going to back of line - it's not THAT big of a deal.

That being said - I would assume that most of the infrastructural wiring Ford does on both is the same (to save line costs), so I'm wondering if anyone knows if down the line, Ford will be able to install upgrades to take me from 2.4 to 7.2?
I would think the wiring for the 7.2 inverter would be significantly heaver gauge. I believe it would be a significant upgrade ($$) but I'm sure it can be done if you are willing to spend.

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
I think the outlet panel in the bed is different too.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
My understanding is that if you just get the 2.4kw ProPower option there's an large inverter placed underneath the rear 60 seat. With the 7.2kw option everything is underneath the cab and integrated with the chassis.

So my guess is that it would not be an easy or cost-effective upgrade to go from 2.4 to 7.2, and may not even be possible.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
My understanding is that if you just get the 2.4kw ProPower option there's an large inverter placed underneath the rear 60 seat. With the 7.2kw option everything is underneath the cab and integrated with the chassis.

So my guess is that it would not be an easy or cost-effective upgrade to go from 2.4 to 7.2, and may not even be possible.
The non PB 2kw is the one below the seat, the 2.4 is a similar setup to 7.2 but different wiring, panel, etc.

Sponsored

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired

AyeAre10

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT 302A
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2.4 kW standard option does NOT include a 30 amp 240v plug like the 7.2 options does.

OP
OP
satexas

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 2.4 kW standard option does NOT include a 30 amp 240v plug like the 7.2 options does.
Correct, but here’s the real question : On the Powerboost, do they run the same physical cabling from bed to battery pack, and just make a software program change that limits 7.2k to 2.4k, thus allowing a dealer to easily “upgrade” it later by simply changing out the connector box in the bed and unlocking via software?

That’s the magic question.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
It is my understanding that it is a hardware change on the inverter.. I think with the 2.4kw you still have an inverter under the back seat.. With the 7.2kw it's all under the truck..

OP
OP
satexas

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
It is my understanding that it is a hardware change on the inverter.. I think with the 2.4kw you still have an inverter under the back seat.. With the 7.2kw it's all under the truck..
This has been debunked, that the Powerboost (which I have) is different than all the rest.

AS in, all the OTHER engines, get it under the seat.

Sponsored

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
This has been debunked, that the Powerboost (which I have) is different than all the rest.

AS in, all the OTHER engines, get it under the seat.
So you have the 2.4kw version of the power boost? It does not have the inverter in the cab?

OP
OP
satexas

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
So you have the 2.4kw version of the power boost? It does not have the inverter in the cab?
Correct. (as referenced above by various posts in this thread by me and others about the difference between powerboost and the other engine packages. Not all 'pro power' is the same)

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The 240v/7.2kw will require an additional conductor for the 2nd phase at least. Not to mention a second or more powerful inverter most likelu. I think it would be to costly to retrofit this option. I went with the stock 2.4kw option.

gadiedrick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew long bed hybrid
Occupation
retired USN Chief Petty Officer

Our PB F-150 will be equipped with the standard 2.4kW setup. If we are remotely camp'n with our trailer plugged in, do we have to run the truck engine through the nite to maintain electricity to the trailer?

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Our PB F-150 will be equipped with the standard 2.4kW setup. If we are remotely camp'n with our trailer plugged in, do we have to run the truck engine through the nite to maintain electricity to the trailer?
Yes.

Just like a normal fuel generator (propane/gas/diesel) you have to run the engine to make electricity for use.
Sponsored