• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2024 Chevy Silverado EV

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
Unless someone has a 7 passenger bev that will tow at least 5k lbs priced between $40k and $50k by that time (looking at you explorer).
I would prefer a full size two row SUV EV that can tow and power an RV trailer. With the Silverado I could add a topper and leave the mid gate open. That is probably the closest I’ll ever get to getting that SUV EV.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I would prefer a full size two row SUV EV that can tow and power an RV trailer. With the Silverado I could add a topper and leave the mid gate open. That is probably the closest I’ll ever get to getting that SUV EV.
I imagine once Ford has the explorer out and then the next gen f150, they'll build an expedition on the new ev truck platform. Until they get the battery cost down an expedition is going to be just too expensive. The ice version starts at $50k so you probably wouldn't have a version under $75k.
The Kia/Hyundai large SUV concepts should be coming to market fairly soon and they will be 7 passenger (think telluride equivalent) but they may tow 5k or less.

With a family SUV, you'll probably get a lot of 120 outlets, but I don't know if they'll have a 240 outlet

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I imagine once Ford has the explorer out and then the next gen f150, they'll build an expedition on the new ev truck platform. Until they get the battery cost down an expedition is going to be just too expensive. The ice version starts at $50k so you probably wouldn't have a version under $75k.
The Kia/Hyundai large SUV concepts should be coming to market fairly soon and they will be 7 passenger (think telluride equivalent) but they may tow 5k or less.

With a family SUV, you'll probably get a lot of 120 outlets, but I don't know if they'll have a 240 outlet
I'd be really surprised if we didn't get both an Explorer EV and an Expedition EV within the next 5yrs. Why would an Expedition be any more expensive than the Lightning? Even at 100k, an Expedition would sell like hotcakes. I mean GM thinks there is the market for a $100k+ Hummer and Silverado EV trucks...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I'd be really surprised if we didn't get both an Explorer EV and an Expedition EV within the next 5yrs. Why would an Expedition be any more expensive than the Lightning? Even at 100k, an Expedition would sell like hotcakes. I mean GM thinks there is the market for a $100k+ Hummer and Silverado EV trucks...
The Explorer EV is already in happening. However, it was recently delayed. I haven't heard anything about an Expedition EV but you just know it'll happen. I suspect Ford will build that on the TE1 platform, sometime after 2025.

I ordered a Silverado, but really it's just hedging in case my Rivian order goes south. To be honest, if Rivian can't deliver my R1T by the end of this year, I'm probably going to give up on an EV for several more years and buy another Raptor.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Explorer EV is already in happening. However, it was recently delayed. I haven't heard anything about an Expedition EV but you just know it'll happen. I suspect Ford will build that on the TE1 platform, sometime after 2025.

I ordered a Silverado, but really it's just hedging in case my Rivian order goes south. To be honest, if Rivian can't deliver my R1T by the end of this year, I'm probably going to give up on an EV for several more years and buy another Raptor.
Yeah I know. Kinda bummed because I was looking at the Explorer EV for my wife to upgrade her 2009 Ford Escape hybrid. Not in a huge hurry, but you just never know when something that old is gonna kick the bucket. An Escape/Edge sized SUV would be preferable--however think an Expedition is more popular and will go EV first after the Explorer. (She could deal with the Explorer if need be. :) )

Also interested in the Equinox EV announced yesterday. I have a Fisker Ocean reservation...but thats a 50/50 proposition, lol.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah I know. Kinda bummed because I was looking at the Explorer EV for my wife to upgrade her 2009 Ford Escape hybrid. Not in a huge hurry, but you just never know when something that old is gonna kick the bucket. An Escape/Edge sized SUV would be preferable--however think an Expedition is more popular and will go EV first after the Explorer. (She could deal with the Explorer if need be. :) )

Also interested in the Equinox EV announced yesterday. I have a Fisker Ocean reservation...but thats a 50/50 proposition, lol.
The Mach-e is almost exactly Escape sized - any reason not to go with that?

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant

If you're looking for an Escape/Edge-sized SUV I'd take a look at the VW ID.4. Wasn't at the top of my list, but it was available and I knew we were buying it the moment I left the dealer for the test drive. Our Pro S RWD came in slightly higher than a base Edge (after tax credit) and had 3 years of free charging.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm hoping there's a $60-65,000, 300-mile version that Ford failed to deliver.
I'm dumping my Lightning reservation, and now have a Silverado reservation, over this snafu. I'm a Ford guy but I'm not paying $78k for a 300 mile EV truck with modest features. I need it to be at $60k to sign up. 275 mile range is probably even OK for under $60k. 230 miles isn't enough for a full time family vehicle in cold climates, too much range degradation for even modest trips without multiple charge stops (at a slower 150kW charge rate than the Silverado).

Chevy might fail, too, but I can wait.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Remember, Ford's range estimates include a payload... are we sure GM's 400 mile estimate does?
Well we know that Ford's "big" battery is 131kWh and GM already has a 200kWh battery designed for the Hummer/SEV platform, so...I think it's safe to say the extended range Silverado will have quite a bit more range.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you're looking for an Escape/Edge-sized SUV I'd take a look at the VW ID.4. Wasn't at the top of my list, but it was available and I knew we were buying it the moment I left the dealer for the test drive. Our Pro S RWD came in slightly higher than a base Edge (after tax credit) and had 3 years of free charging.
I saw the ID4 at the auto show and was REALLY impressed. It felt really good, much better than the MME I saw there. I'm a Ford guy, but the MME had awful seat for me(I'm a big guy) and I felt really cramped inside...not comfortable at all.

Only thing that I'm wondering about is range. Seems a tad low at 240-250mi. I am also looking at Fisker, Ioniq5 and EV6.

If the VW had ~300mi range and the 800v charging I'd put in an order today. I liked the interior a lot and it felt great when I sat in it at the auto show.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well we know that Ford's "big" battery is 131kWh and GM already has a 200kWh battery designed for the Hummer/SEV platform, so...I think it's safe to say the extended range Silverado will have quite a bit more range.
The silverado also has (800v)? fast charging. They claim 100mi in 10min. Thats a huge deal...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The silverado also has (800v)? fast charging. They claim 100mi in 10min. Thats a huge deal...
Yeah, that was the one place that I felt they really dropped the ball on the Lightning (aside from $75k entry for 300 miles). Within a few years 350kW charging will be almost ubiquitous, it will really hurt first gen Lightning resale values. By the time Ford really has Lightning production ramped up pretty much every new EV being released will have 800V architecture.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It's built on the same platform as the Hummer, so yes, 300 mile minimum and 800V charging.
The battery platform is flexible, I wouldn't be surprised to see a base battery around 250, mid-tier with a little over 300 and mega range with 400. They are taking the 3-tier approach with the Hummer, too.
Sponsored