Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
How bright is the ambient lighting? It's pretty dull in my 2018
I didn’t get too many pics of that. I can’t compared it to too much other than what I’ve seen in other Fords and the F-150’s ambient lighting was adequate in my opinion.

By chance, I have a photo of the ambient lighting around the center stack. You can see it in the storage cubby with the wireless charging pad, and in the cup holders.

Ford F-150 Hands On Opinion -- Half Ton Truck Interiors Compared: 2021 F-150 vs Tundra, Silverado, Sierra, Gladiator, Ram 1500 ? 8C7CAA6D-951F-4145-A087-8107B011DB92

From what I understand, the only color available will be what Ford calls “Ice Blue”, which is what you see here. Most of the buttons on the dash and center stack are also backlit in this color.

Last edited:

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
That, and I think the fact built into the dash and not tacked on like a cheap iPad helps with the aesthetic.
I agree about the landscape orientation in the dash is the way to go. My 2015 F-150 has the display built in, but my 2020 Escape Hybrid has the tacked on iPad. While the Sync3 software is much better than the Sync2 in my 2015, I am really looking forward to the dual 12" screens in the 2021 F-150 Powerboost I ordered and will someday get I guess.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree about the landscape orientation in the dash is the way to go. My 2015 F-150 has the display built in, but my 2020 Escape Hybrid has the tacked on iPad. While the Sync3 software is much better than the Sync2 in my 2015, I am really looking forward to the dual 12" screens in the 2021 F-150 Powerboost I ordered and will someday get I guess.
I’m really looking forward to it too. Whenever that day is!

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
GM botched their launch a year ago. Maybe deliberately to leg up the competition with a mid-cycle refresh but when I checked out a Denali last year the interior was laughable. Dull, boring and downright ugly especially if you wanted an interior color other than black. The tan options are limited to a hideous taupe and slightly different taupe combo. I've always liked the way the GM trucks drove so it was disappointing to see such a missed mark. The generation before was a much nicer looking truck inside and out in my opinion.

Ram interiors are the benchmark. Thankfully they came through on the new F-150, the attention to detail is pretty amazing when you look around - and the fit and finish is arguably better than Ram. Ram interiors have always been visually appealing but the execution of the way it's put together can be questionable. Case in point is that weird uneven piece of stitching in the dash in the OP's picture. It's a welcomed change, seems like you had to go Platinum or Limited to get a really nice interior on the outgoing F-150. Not the case now, even the XLT is swanky inside.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
GM is going to refresh the Sierra/Silverado lineup for 2022. I went to see an new Yukon and mentioned I was looking at the 2021 F-150. He didn't even mince words, "I think you would be really happy with the Sierra, but not with the 2021, you are going to want to wait until 2022".

All trims of Chevy and all trims of GMC, except Denali, should get interi
or similar to upper photo. All Denali truck will likely get an interior similar to the lower photo.

Where I think every other competitor currently is way behind is on powertrains. Ford has really taken the lead on that.

Ford F-150 Hands On Opinion -- Half Ton Truck Interiors Compared: 2021 F-150 vs Tundra, Silverado, Sierra, Gladiator, Ram 1500 ? 1610487712922

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GM is going to refresh the Sierra/Silverado lineup for 2022. I went to see an new Yukon and mentioned I was looking at the 2021 F-150. He didn't even mince words, "I think you would be really happy with the Sierra, but not with the 2021, you are going to want to wait until 2022".

All trims of Chevy and all trims of GMC, except Denali, should get interi
or similar to upper photo. All Denali truck will likely get an interior similar to the lower photo.

Where I think every other competitor currently is way behind is on powertrains. Ford has really taken the lead on that.

1610487712922.png
Are these stock photos from GM or renderings?

Either way it does appear to be a significant step up from the Silverado’s and Sierra’s current interior offerings.

Removing my slight Ford bias (if possible, lol). I think the GM interiors you pictured still miss the mark when compared to the generation 14 F-150.

Revamping their interiors this drastically just two years into a new generation kinda seems like they’re being forced to either keep up with RAM and Ford, or get left behind. Something they cannot afford to do in the crazy competitive American truck market.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Knickell These are stock photos of the current 2021 Yukon. The GMC dealer said they are the best representation of what you will see from GM on the 2022 Sierra/Silverado. When I spoke with him, he said the unknown factor was that the Yukon/Tahoe went to a push button transmission. He claims that GM owners like the column shifter, so he was unsure how that was going to be handled.

You can go to a GM dealer today and see the interior in the Yukon/Tahoe. It is not as good a Ford, so they are likely going to appeal to their base, but may not likely keep anyone from buying an F-150. The new Sierra/Silverado, again, will be very similar according to the dealer, but may not be exactly like the Yukon/Tahoe.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Knickell These are stock photos of the current 2021 Yukon. The GMC dealer said they are the best representation of what you will see from GM on the 2022 Sierra/Silverado. When I spoke with him, he said the unknown factor was that the Yukon/Tahoe went to a push button transmission. He claims that GM owners like the column shifter, so he was unsure how that was going to be handled.

You can go to a GM dealer today and see the interior in the Yukon/Tahoe. It is not as good a Ford, so they are likely going to appeal to their base, but may not likely keep anyone from buying an F-150. The new Sierra/Silverado, again, will be very similar according to the dealer, but may not be exactly like the Yukon/Tahoe.
That’s what I thought. The term “parts bin” comes to mind as you see the same kind of buttons, air vents, switchgear and such across most of their lineup. I’ll cede that all automakers do it to some degree, but it is more noticeable to me in GM products.

I did notice the push button transmission. Doubt truck buyers will like that, but we’ll see.

I sampled a Chevrolet Suburban at the auto show a few weeks back. Sticker price was north of $80K. The interior did look nice for the ten foot test, but once I actually got in it, it seemed like some sort of imitation leather and all of the places that looked and you expected to be soft touch materials were kind of rubbery/sticky. Hard to explain in words. Hopefully that isn’t the end product on their higher trim trucks.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s what I thought. The term “parts bin” comes to mind as you see the same kind of buttons, air vents, switchgear and such across most of their lineup. I’ll cede that all automakers do it to some degree, but it is more noticeable to me in GM products.

I did notice the push button transmission. Doubt truck buyers will like that, but we’ll see.

I sampled a Chevrolet Suburban at the auto show a few weeks back. Sticker price was north of $80K. The interior did look nice for the ten foot test, but once I actually got in it, it seemed like some sort of imitation leather and all of the places that looked and you expected to be soft touch materials were kind of rubbery/sticky. Hard to explain in words. Hopefully that isn’t the end product on their higher trim trucks.
I have been in several 2021 Yukon's, what you saw is what they are offering. The Denali was more soft touch material and has a more upscale look with the stand-alone dash. I just could see buying something that gets 15 mpg over a Powerboost. Fit/finish/options/powertrain/ability are all in the F-150's favor. I expect the same out of the forthcoming Expedition too. If I find I need that type of vehicle, I'll make that change to the Expedition when it comes out.

Sponsored

Dodgehemi0

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram
Occupation
Military
If Ford would have got rid of the shifter that whole console could have been storage like the Rams.
While the Ford looks 100% better now, the Ram still has it for the interior in my view.

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
i tried plowing once with a friend’s new 2500 Plymouth truck, the dial shifter was an absolute pain!!! I kept throwing it into park trying to back up. He hates it.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i tried plowing once with a friend’s new 2500 Plymouth truck, the dial shifter was an absolute pain!!! I kept throwing it into park trying to back up. He hates it.
Especially for work purposes, I can see it causing issues. Probably nowhere near as responsive as a column mounted shifter.

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
wait....the cupholders light up?
On Lariat and up (pretty sure), the interiors come with what Ford calls "Ice Blue ambient lighting" This includes light blue lighting in the cup holders, floorboards, some of the door pockets, and the front storage cubby under the center stack.
Sponsored