Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
Wanted to start a thread on ideas, parts, antenna and mic mounting options

Credit to @Slappy McGee for a fantastic YouTube vid. Hard to imagine a more informative, well though out video; thanks!

I don't have my truck yet, but I plan on essentially copying @Slappy McGee methods with slight deviations:
-Running 1/0 wire to a distribution block under rear seat. Will use that as a 12v hub for the radio. Will also send additional 1/0 to rear bumper from distro block to connect my trailer winch, terminating in Anderson connectors.
- Using a Bulletpoint mount on center dash to remote-mount Kenwood VM-71a faceplate.
-Mic mount: considering a mount inside the console, and a second mount point outside somewhere. Idea would be that the mic will be out of sight in the console when not in use, and I’d use ‘external mic mount’ when actually in use. (Kenwood mic goes to main radio, not faceplate)

if you’ve got a radio setup, please share! Pics encouraged!

This was my install in my last truck

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 417E18B6-9503-4B6C-83F6-F9E3D3F9CFAB
Sponsored

Last edited:

quo155

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F-150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Residential Designer
Thanks for sharing this video...and hopefully, as I await (patiently, I think) my '22...some will post their installs here, in time.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing this video...and hopefully, as I await (patiently, I think) my '22...some will post their installs here, in time.
IF your new truck is getting Copilot360 and BC, you do not want to mount anything near the vents. It will block the sensors that monitors your attention and eye movement, etc. One also on left pillar.

quo155

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F-150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Residential Designer
IF your new truck is getting Copilot360 and BC, you do not want to mount anything near the vents. It will block the sensors that monitors your attention and eye movement, etc. One also on left pillar.
Good points...thanks! I'll have all of that, so I expect any radio install will be challenging.

K0RQ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport Powerboost
I just completed an install in my 2021 F-150 XLT Sport Powerboost.

Radio is a Yaesu FTM-400
Mount is a Comet FO4ANT (the FO3ANT that fits the 13th Gen F-150 will not work, so don't bother)
Antenna is a Signal Stuff Signal Stalk (NMO style that's about 20" tall, so perfect if you have a clearance issue in the garage like I do)

Install was pretty straight forward. As always, getting through the firewall is a nightmare. I offer you no tips there other than to have lots of patience. Ford clearly does not want customers adding wiring through the firewall, they made it incredibly tough.

Wiring to the battery was done with 10 AWG zip cord with Anderson Powerpole connectors. The run from the battery to the cab is just a hair too long for 12 AWG if you account for voltage drop, so I went with 10 AWG. Power cable is run under the door trim and to under the driver's seat where the radio base is located.

Due to the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) on the newer Fords, you CANNOT install the negative DC lead to the battery (well, you can but you might not like the results!). That said, there is a ground point on the frame that the battery is connected to. Install your negative lead to that, as it's on the correct side of the BMS.

Since I have the Powerboost, extra care had to be made to not accidently interfere with the orange wires for the hybrid system. Those have 450V on them. You don't want to nic those; you will have a really bad day.

For the remote head I went with the Lido LoPro-AD-1. It's a low profile mount that fits in the front cubby of the center console. Since mine is an XLT and does not have a wireless charger, this is perfect. Remote head cables were snaked under the console and run to under the drivers seat.

External speaker is mounted under the dash just above the pedals. Another cubby on the left side of the center console provides a hiding spot for the microphone.

I hope this helps anyone wanting to do an Amateur Radio/GMRS/CB/Commerical Two-Way install on a 21/22 F-150.

Jake K0RQ

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 2021-12-14 13.11.57

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 2021-12-14 13.12.25

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 2021-12-14 13.12.35

Sponsored

quo155

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F-150 Lariat SCrew
Occupation
Residential Designer
I just completed an install in my 2021 F-150 XLT Sport Powerboost.

Radio is a Yaesu FTM-400...
Jake K0RQ
Jake, wow...very helpful information...all the way around. Thank you for taking the time to write this up and sharing some tips. They will prove to be helpful for me, some day!

73 de KA5SUG
Tommy

OP
OP

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
Jake-

SUPER clean install. I assume the radio body is under rear seat?

K0RQ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport Powerboost
SUPER clean install. I assume the radio body is under rear seat?
Yep, that's correct. Body is under the drivers seat. I use a little bit of velcro on the bottom of the mounting bracket to keep it from sliding around, and it works great.

I should also note that in this case, the cable for the microphone isn't long enough so I made an extension cable. On the FTM-400, the connection is an RJ45, so I took a 6 foot Cat 5e cable and put a keystone on one end. I think Yaesu makes a mic extension cable, but this was quicker :D

Polish Prince

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat
Occupation
Flooring Sales
I made progress today. I got my dash mount installed today. I also put together my RAM Mounts, Lido Radio FTM-400DR bracket along with the Lido Wouxun KG-1000G mounting brackets.

Short Sturdiness Test Video Here on YouTube -

3 Minute Video of Dual Radio Install on YouTube -

Inside Truck Pics Taken Tonight:

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220910_162126

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220910_194924

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220910_194933

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220910_195523

I installed a couple extra Ram mounts in case I want to throw up a fuzzbuster or something else in the future.

My antenna mount is from a company in Mesa, AZ called Bulletproof Diesel and they have an awesome invention here to mount your antenna(s) on your third brake light.

Antenna Mounting Pics Below ....

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220901_170404

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220901_170346

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220901_170322

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 20220901_170314

Antennas
I'm testing out the Compactenna Ham and GMRS antennae to start out with. I've tested the SWR and am not too happy with the results of the Compactenna. Although, it clearly states that best results come from mounting them on the rear corner of your roof. I contacted the inventor and he said that I should be fine using the third brake antenna mount. I've been riding around Phoenix the last couple weeks testing a little bit with my Yaesu HT. Once I get my mobiles powered on, we'll see how they work. If I get complaints about the TX quality, I'll switch back over to traditional NMO whip style antennas. RX seems to be pretty good so far with these antennas though.

Audio
Both radios will be heard through the internal Ford stereo if all works out well which eliminates the need for installing additional speakers for the radios. I've already tested with my Yaesu HT and it's working fine. I'm using a tiny 2 channel passive mixer I got bought off Amazon that feeds the two radios into an inexpensive but quality FM Transmitter that I've got set up to broadcast to 87.9 FM on my truck radio. It's bluetooth, but I am not using the bluetooth portion of the transmitter. The audio will be coming from the 3.5mm output jacks of the radios that will be installed underneath the back seat.

Pics Below

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 81LWzMwBkfL._AC_SL1500_

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 91ScWoFv77L._AC_SL1500_

Ford F-150 Ham & GMRS Install 61eeKx2WshL._AC_SL1500_

As far as the powering of the radios go, I am going to leave that to the professionals and will take my truck into a trusted stereo shop. I'll have them run power to the back seat and have the two radios on their own circuit. I don't want anything to do with that job.

I'll post an update once these radios are up and running and get the wiring routed the way I imagine it's going to. It should end being a pretty clean install when it's all over with. Hopefully, I can schedule the powering for this coming week.

Polish Prince

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat
Occupation
Flooring Sales
Install Complete:

I'll throw an OpenSpot in the glove box and call it a day.... Until I get my General license... Then I can utilize that 4th input on the mixer and hook up a screwdriver :)
Sponsored