Sponsored

What happened to all the excitement of the past few years for the 2.7 liter?

Braccia

First Name
Lariat55
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 502A
So much publicity, dealers were pushing customers to test drive them. Dealers had so many on the lots. Seems it's not the engine of choice any more.

I have had the V8 2015, I have the 2018 2.7 502A lariat now. Honestly love both engines, miss the growl of the V8 just a little. Excited for my new 2021 502A lariat, just noticed very few are ordering the 2.7 liter.

Am I missing something? They aren't any long tern problems that I am aware of to discourage this motor selection. The gas mileage hasn't lived up to the hype, but still was a good performer.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were?
Sponsored

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
So much publicity, dealers were pushing customers to test drive them. Dealers had so many on the lots. Seems it's not the engine of choice any more.

I have had the V8 2015, I have the 2018 2.7 502A lariat now. Honestly love both engines, miss the growl of the V8 just a little. Excited for my new 2021 502A lariat, just noticed very few are ordering the 2.7 liter.

Am I missing something? They aren't any long tern problems that I am aware of to discourage this motor selection. The gas mileage hasn't lived up to the hype, but still was a good performer.

I currently drive a 2018 XLT with the 2.7L and it's been a great engine. In the summer when it's warm here in Michigan I'll get 20+ MPG and it has power to tow or haul pretty well for such a small engine. I ordered a Platinum this time which is not available with a 2.7 but I probably wouldn't have ordered it again anyway. The simple reason is that I do tow some heavy pontoons and other trailers from time to time and it just doesn't have the power that I need. Also, I had a 2010 Lincoln MXS with the 3.5 ecoboost and that thing was a rocket and I loved it. Honestly, though, if I wasn't in need of the towing power, the 2.7 is a fantastic engine option for a lot of people.

OP
OP
Braccia

Braccia

First Name
Lariat55
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 502A
I'm curious if the 2.7 will phased out before the V8. After seeing all the orders here, most are the 3.5. The hybrid will get more popular, V8 still has a following, and of course we are all waiting for the ELECTRIC. I hope I didn't make a mistake for resale ordering another 2.7 lariat. Just surprised from Gen 13 to Gen 14, the change in engine choices.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
My ‘16 had the 2.7, my ‘18 had the 3.5 and by choice I have the 2.7 again on my ‘21.

For my purposes the 2.7 is the best. I don’t do any heavy duty trailering or hauling. My main concerns are acceleration and responsiveness. That 2.7 is hard to beat in those regards. I love that little engine.

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
I'm going with the 2.7 as it could tow my pontoon if need be but I rally tow anything more then an atv/snowmobile. I thought about the hybrid that gives the economy and power but could not justify the cost upgrade in Canada. With limited high millage data on the 2.7 there does not appear to be any reliability issues with the engine, especially 18+ when they added the port side injectors.

Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah I ordered my 2021 with the 2.7 I am a big fan of the engine after test driving a 2018 a year back.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I can't help myself, I want the most power I can get.

With the 3.5 eco going to 400 hp and 500 ftlb of torque, that is too much difference from the 2.7 with with little lose of MPGs and small price difference.

I do tow a fairly heavy bass boat and some odd ball stuff here and there and the 2.7 could do it but like I said, more hp and low end torque gets my vote every time. :LOL:

Keeps from working the motor as hard.

OP
OP
Braccia

Braccia

First Name
Lariat55
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 502A
I can't help myself, I want the most power I can get.

With the 3.5 eco going to 400 hp and 500 ftlb of torque, that is too much difference from the 2.7 with with little lose of MPGs and small price difference.

I do tow a fairly heavy bass boat and some odd ball stuff here and there and the 2.7 could do it but like I said, more hp and low end torque gets my vote every time. :LOL:

Keeps from working the motor as hard.
Does anyone think that long term, the 2.7 would be less demand and value for resale, compared to the V8 and 3.5. I thought V8 was being replaced with 2.7 eventually but at this point v8 still going strong. I'm starting to think the 2.7 won't hold value compared to the other engines? Again just my opinion based on the hype in previous years. I do have a 2021 2.7 lariat on order.
Don't get me wrong, 3.5 awesome engine, just more money option, and less fuel efficient. I took the money difference and just added more options to the Lariat. Cant wait to hear the BO Unleashed

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Does anyone think that long term, the 2.7 would be less demand and value for resale, compared to the V8 and 3.5. I thought V8 was being replaced with 2.7 eventually but at this point v8 still going strong. I'm starting to think the 2.7 won't hold value compared to the other engines? Again just my opinion based on the hype in previous years. I do have a 2021 2.7 lariat on order.
I guess 2.7 would have a smaller market on the used side but I think there will still be a market for it.

I'm not downing this engine but for me, why order a 2.7 when you can get the 3.5 with 75 more hp and 100 more ft lbs of torque. That is a Big difference and only losing 1 MPG, that's a no brainier for me.

Now if you are shopping for a used or new F150 with the eco motor, which one do you think most people will want.

PeterD16

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Lol. Ford is not phasing out the 2.7L. As a matter of fact, it is the best selling engine in their F150 lineup by # of orders every year since its introduction. If you think there is a lack of excitement, then you are simply referring to it not being a new engine with new features. That is currently the Powerboost. It’s called marketing new products. They purposely give marketing attention to those new products. If and when the 2.7L gets a new (something), they will create the same buzz around it.

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Maybe a 2.7L Powerboost could be in the future for even better gas mileage.

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Asked a similar question to our local dealer. He said that the majority of leased vehicles at their shop is the 2.7 and purchases tend to go with the 3.5 or 5.0.

OP
OP
Braccia

Braccia

First Name
Lariat55
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat 502A
Looking at the orders listed in this forum, not many 2.7's.

I talked to my dealer in ontario, he said the majority of his orders are for the 2.7. Maybe in the USA the preference is 3.5 and in Canada is 2.7? Gas cheaper in the US, then Canada.

Streetmuziq

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Golf R
I just placed an order a few weeks ago. 2.7 with the payload package. I test drive both back to back for over an hour and decided on the 2.7. I will rarely tow but should definitely be enough for when I do. Bottom line is I’m super excited about my engine choice.
Sponsored