Sponsored

Hands Free Experience

navi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Just completed a trip from the Bay Area to Tahoe and back. I’d say I did roughly 80 percent hands free and overall impressed. There were a couple cases which I’m hoping they can improve.

The first is when I have the speed limit set to something higher for highway speeds however when a curve comes up suggesting something lower I’d expect the system to slow down so it doesn’t feel like I’m speeding into it and feeling the Gs.

The second is when a traffic jam is coming up I can clearly see cars braking and slowing down. Normally I’d start slowing down which also indicates to the person behind me that traffic is slowing down however the truck kept going at the same speed where I felt like if I didn’t take over braking the person behind me would have run into me or come very close.
Sponsored

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Just completed a trip from the Bay Area to Tahoe and back.
This is a trip I plan to take a lot...from the South Bay to Truckee and back.

How much traffic did you hit? Was Blue cruise able to handle it well?

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
The second is when a traffic jam is coming up I can clearly see cars braking and slowing down. Normally I’d start slowing down which also indicates to the person behind me that traffic is slowing down however the truck kept going at the same speed where I felt like if I didn’t take over braking the person behind me would have run into me or come very close.
I agree with this one completely. They definitely need to adjust the forward facing radar or whatever they’re using to detect distance to the next car to more accurately realize if cars are completely stopped or barely moving because it barrels in like a freight train then freaks out and slams the brakes way too late.

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT SC Sport - On Order - 2022 Lariat SC 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
We are all just Guinee pigs at this stage. Some day this technology will be used against us. Our vehicles will be programed to only allow us to the vehicle for specific reasons and destinations. Once we go all electric, the amount of electricity for vehicles we get will be metered and allotted. We clearly don't and won't have the capability to power a society of all electric vehicles (at our current population). Years from now we will look back at the freedoms we once had.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
We are all just Guinee pigs at this stage. Some day this technology will be used against us. Our vehicles will be programed to only allow us to the vehicle for specific reasons and destinations. Once we go all electric, the amount of electricity for vehicles we get will be metered and allotted. We clearly don't and won't have the capability to power a society of all electric vehicles (at our current population). Years from now we will look back at the freedoms we once had.

Sponsored

OP
OP
navi

navi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truckee is where I exactly went as well. I did not hit much traffic fortunately (unfortunately?). When I did I felt like it was slow to initially slow down. It does start back up from stop by itself but is a little slow on the pick up.

OP
OP
navi

navi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also managed to get 30 mpg from the top of the mountain down (and declare 675 miles left to empty!) and about 24 for the whole trip back. At $5.69 per gallon I’ll take any mpg I can get.

Ford F-150 Hands Free Experience 0CE79B9F-C4C8-43FA-B45E-D43AFB6AB2DC

Ford F-150 Hands Free Experience 7B209D06-CC39-4E25-842E-7CAA4A074385
Ford F-150 Hands Free Experience 805BD3DF-03A3-4E1D-9A7A-23E141DE0ECD

dpbrown02

First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
My only real complaint is that it does not track in the center of the lane, but more to the right. I find that it works the best in the left lane but i feel like it hugs the lane line a but closer than to my liking.

OP
OP
navi

navi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes actually that was another annoying thing, I felt like I had to keep pulling it a little to the left in the left lane but justified it thinking maybe it assumes there might be a wall/barrier, etc. I found it centered more in the center lanes?

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
What did you have the distance set at for the adaptive cruise? I agree that it should slow down sooner than it does for speed traffic. I have found though that at the max follow distance, it isn't as bad when coming up on traffic traveling much slower. That distance is too far back for my liking while cruising though, so I usually hit the button on the steering wheel to change it quick if I see traffic coming to a stop in front of me.

Sponsored

Galavanta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Just completed a trip from the Bay Area to Tahoe and back. I’d say I did roughly 80 percent hands free and overall impressed. There were a couple cases which I’m hoping they can improve.

The first is when I have the speed limit set to something higher for highway speeds however when a curve comes up suggesting something lower I’d expect the system to slow down so it doesn’t feel like I’m speeding into it and feeling the Gs.

Received my Limited in March, still no handsfree availability!!!! they are really screwing the early adopters.

OP
OP
navi

navi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What did you have the distance set at for the adaptive cruise? I agree that it should slow down sooner than it does for speed traffic. I have found though that at the max follow distance, it isn't as bad when coming up on traffic traveling much slower. That distance is too far back for my liking while cruising though, so I usually hit the button on the steering wheel to change it quick if I see traffic coming to a stop in front of me.
I didn’t know you can set the distance anywhere. I’ll have to look into that. I also just noticed that you have to press the resume button from a stand still to get it going again. It seems just a brief 0 mph would auto resume. (To correct my earlier observation)

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Traveled from Houston to Dallas this weekend in hopes of using this. Unfortunately it didn't engage one time. Frustrating because I-45 is on Ford's map of highways it should work on. It worked once or twice the first two days of owning the truck, but nothing since then.

Hectort713

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Tremor
Traveled from Houston to Dallas this weekend in hopes of using this. Unfortunately it didn't engage one time. Frustrating because I-45 is on Ford's map of highways it should work on. It worked once or twice the first two days of owning the truck, but nothing since then.
you have to make sure that your lane assist is on, that the only way that Hand Free will work, also the button above lane assist is the button to control the distance of how far to detect the vehicle in front of you the more bars you see high lighted that’s how far it will detect the vehicle in front of you, if you only have one bar high lighted then it’s like having a one car’s length space in front of you, hope this helps on your next trip.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Lane assist was on, but I did have only one bar highlighted on my spacing. I'll change that for the next time.

Where are you getting this info from? Someone else here posted that it doesn't work above 80mph. I'd just like to read up on it some and set what the parameters are.
Sponsored

Last edited: