Sponsored

Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed?

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I just dropped my 2021 F150 Platinum of to have the ceramic tinting done. Should be done in a few hours, but I'm taking it back next Monday to have 2 layers of ceramic coating on the rest of the truck. I know they take the top layer of clear coat off and make any corrections that need to be made. But that sounds kind of scary. Does anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
So yeah, I guess you could say the top layer of clear coat, but that seems harsh.. They will (should) correct any imperfections first..

A new truck shouldn't need much work so a little correction then ceramic.. How long did they say they will need it? These things have a cure time that would require an overnight stay in my mind..

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
So yeah, I guess you could say the top layer of clear coat, but that seems harsh.. They will (should) correct any imperfections first..

A new truck shouldn't need much work so a little correction then ceramic.. How long did they say they will need it? These things have a cure time that would require an overnight stay in my mind..
They said the 2 layers would take 2 days. 1st day to prep and second day to apply. Im dropping it off next Monday and will either pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday. The company is very reputable it just makes me kind of nervous. He said it shouldn’t need much correction at all because it’s new.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I've always wanted to get it done, but my skepticism kicks in.. How much $$ and what level of product are you getting?

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
They just strip the coat of wax not really removing layer of clear unless they are having to paint correct then requires buffing out. If having done I prefer to do one coat then have re-done 6-12 months later. Many wash products out there to keep ceramic coatings lasting longer. If you really want to do a heavy protection look at Paint protection film on front of truck, lights, hood, fenders. We did our Tesla it's amazing!

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
You might have just taught me something. I did not know ceramic coating took off some of the clear coat.

Most ceramic coating processes I’ve looked into to state they will do paint correction, so that might be what they mean. I’ve clay bared my cars a few times, and by definition, that’s an abrasive procedure. If done properly, its okay as long as you immediately apply some sort of sealant after (wax, ceramic coat, etc.) so the bare paint and clear coat aren’t exposed to the elements. That’s probably what they are going to be doing with the ceramic coat procedure,

I’ll admit, the title of your thread did alarm me too, lol so I completely understand your concern. I’d say it’s more important to research the detailer and if they are competent enough to do the process well and use decent products, especially because it costs so much.

If you’re good with that, I’d say you have little to worry about besides getting before and after photos posted ASAP!!

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I am ordering a new truck for the first time. I am interested in this process. Con someone explain the whole thing to me, as well as costs, and if it is any different with an already tinted clear coat like the smoked quartz paint?

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
It’s 1200 bucks for a single layer and another 600 for a 2nd. I’m going to go with 2 layers. He says anything more than that is overkill. I think he is using autobahn. Or ceramic pro, both seem legit

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
It’s 1200 bucks for a single layer and another 600 for a 2nd. I’m going to go with 2 layers. He says anything more than that is overkill. I think he is using autobahn. Or ceramic pro, both seem legit
That quote is insane! For that you can get 3m PPF full front and cheeper ceramic coating which is all you will need. Paint protection film is light years better! A good installer will tell you good ceramic needs to be redone 12-18mo max. Our 6 month coating $300.00 lasted a year. PPF is 10 year. Won't scratch and bugs wipe right off rocks won't penetrate film if it does it gets warranty replacement. Game changer if you keep vehicles long.

Coolrain

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor
I have had a ceramic coating on my Camaro for 3 years now and it still looks amazing. Its black and has little to no swirl marks (pet peeve - I also do no touch foam cannon washes) After any wash it looks like the car was clayed and waxed (Arctic Coating was the brand) Yes a good shop will go in and do a paint correction. Make no mistake that a brand new paint job still needs corrected. The price is in line with the effort it takes to do this correctly any shop that is saying $600 or whatever is not doing the necessary labor for a lasting job.

as some have said the film works well too I just don't like how it looks up close... and that is where I see the vehicle the most....

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed? 2014 1LE.JPG

Sponsored

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I just dropped my 2021 F150 Platinum of to have the ceramic tinting done. Should be done in a few hours, but I'm taking it back next Monday to have 2 layers of ceramic coating on the rest of the truck. I know they take the top layer of clear coat off and make any corrections that need to be made. But that sounds kind of scary. Does anyone have experience with this?
I had the ceramic coating done on my 2017. It cost around 800.00 but it was worth it. It had a warranty and every year I took it back and they detailed the truck and reapplied the coating. It was worth it.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
You might have just taught me something. I did not know ceramic coating took off some of the clear coat.

Most ceramic coating processes I’ve looked into to state they will do paint correction, so that might be what they mean. I’ve clay bared my cars a few times, and by definition, that’s an abrasive procedure. If done properly, its okay as long as you immediately apply some sort of sealant after (wax, ceramic coat, etc.) so the bare paint and clear coat aren’t exposed to the elements. That’s probably what they are going to be doing with the ceramic coat procedure,

I’ll admit, the title of your thread did alarm me too, lol so I completely understand your concern. I’d say it’s more important to research the detailer and if they are competent enough to do the process well and use decent products, especially because it costs so much.

If you’re good with that, I’d say you have little to worry about besides getting before and after photos posted ASAP!!
I think that you are exactly right, Knickell. The Clearcoat will not removed but any wax will be removed, as you want the Ceramic coating to bond directly to the Paint and Clearcoat, not to the wax.

As part of the Prep phase, the Detailer will wash, de-grease, de-iron, claybar, wash, and ‘level’ the exterior clear coat in order to remove any small swirl marks and minor scrapes in the coating. If needed, he should also do any paint correction (‘buffing’) where necessary (hopefully not needed on a new vehicle). Final prep step is an isopropyl alcohol rinse.

The Ceramic Coating goes on top of that now-glossier and super-clean. Clearcoat. Some brands call for 1 coat; others call for 2 coats. Most also recommend a sacrificial ‘Topper’ coat (depends upon the brand). This is all easily a 2-3 day process, including prep/coatings/curing.

I hope this puts your mind at ease. ?

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I think that you are exactly right, Knickell. The Clearcoat will not removed but any wax will be removed, as you want the Ceramic coating to bond directly to the Paint and Clearcoat, not to the wax.

As part of the Prep phase, the Detailer will wash, de-grease, de-iron, claybar, wash, and ‘level’ the exterior clear coat in order to remove any small swirl marks and minor scrapes in the coating. If needed, he should also do any paint correction (‘buffing’) where necessary (hopefully not needed on a new vehicle). Final prep step is an isopropyl alcohol rinse.

The Ceramic Coating goes on top of that now-glossier and super-clean. Clearcoat. Some brands call for 1 coat; others call for 2 coats. Most also recommend a sacrificial ‘Topper’ coat (depends upon the brand). This is all easily a 2-3 day process, including prep/coatings/curing.

I hope this puts your mind at ease. ?

Interesting Discussion. My wife's 2017 SUV came with a thin wrap on the vehicle - which over the yrs owning it I'm not fond @ all (it sucks). I been reading a lot about the ceramic coating - along with a coating called Carbon Force. It's good for 5-yrs. Sorry, I'm not sold yet on paying thousands of dollars for a coating - then the find print states you really need to bring in in now & then @ another price just to keep it looking good. Also how long will that service provider will be around - in business. Since ceramic coating came out - all kinds of shops poping us stting how good they are - I'm not buying it. Over the years and the numerous amount of vehicles I've own - I have found your enviromental exposure (good, bad, fair etc..), a lot has to do with how you "properly" wash your truck and the willingness in spending the amount of time needed to properly wash it. Car Washes - "Hell no", I stay far from them as possible. I'm doing a wait out before I spend $$$. I will howver do DYI on my wife's SUV. There are ton's of videos on YouTube walking one through the cleaning preperation, clay baring, wax and cermanic process .

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, CX-5, Rogue Sport, Lincoln MKX
Ceramic coating is not going to remove your clear coat. New vehicle prep includes foam wash, claybar wash, polishing of any imperfections, and alcohol/water spray mixture to wipe all cleaners off the paint. Then the ceramic coating is wiped on and wiped off in small sections. Basically it forms a glass shell over the paint. The downside is you can end up with an uneven application, discolored plastic trim, and rain/dew spots. After doing a lot of research and reading all the reviews for the various products and talking to car show guys, I decided to go with an excellent hand wax, Collinite 915. I got excellent results at 2% of the cost for way less risk of unwanted side effects. Granted the wax is not as long lasting as some ceramic coatings (yearly waxing) but I found too many negative reviews of ceramic coating. Although everyone swears it looks great in the advertising there were to many negative reviews for my comfort level. No matter what, I did not want an uneven appearance to my paint or discoloration to my plastic trim. Plus, I really enjoy the smooth feeling the Collinte wax left on my paint. My wax job is below. Not bad for $40 and a couple hours. Will be doing the same to my F150 or new Bronco.

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed? 1609267661312

Last edited: