Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

Platty_PB

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum PowerBoost SuperCrew
Hey, that was my article, and I am glad to see some or at least one of them working out for you!

He is referencing this article HERE

untitled-video.png
Yep, I read the article as well. I also switched over to the EV coaching method last night, that's almost like playing a game trying to keep it in electric and seeing where it switches over. Out of curiosity, do you know why the 'Hold OK to Reset' pops up when it switches between Electric and Gas? I see it blip up there and haven't figured out what it is asking me to reset.

@turbospartan - I drove from 144th and York down to 58th and I-25 this morning to get my Line-X done and managed a bit over 21mpg. The brake tap to force electric mode definitely works but man is it difficult to keep it there. I am just shy of 500 miles, put 26gal in it yesterday, with an average of 16.2mpg but I had to tow a travel trailer about 45 miles from Littleton to north Thornton (I know, I know, not supposed to tow in the first 1,000 miles but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)
Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
Yep, I read the article as well. I also switched over to the EV coaching method last night, that's almost like playing a game trying to keep it in electric and seeing where it switches over. Out of curiosity, do you know why the 'Hold OK to Reset' pops up when it switches between Electric and Gas? I see it blip up there and haven't figured out what it is asking me to reset.

@turbospartan - I drove from 144th and York down to 58th and I-25 this morning to get my Line-X done and managed a bit over 21mpg. The brake tap to force electric mode definitely works but man is it difficult to keep it there. I am just shy of 500 miles, put 26gal in it yesterday, with an average of 16.2mpg but I had to tow a travel trailer about 45 miles from Littleton to north Thornton (I know, I know, not supposed to tow in the first 1,000 miles but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)
Awesome, I'm glad people are finding some use for that article and saving a few bucks. Took me some time to write that's for sure.

I don't think the Hold OK button is supposed to be happening like that

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
That's not bad. I'd also say give it a bit more time to break in. I only have ~1600 miles but it seems to be getting slightly better MPG with each trip. Just ran from Flatirons Mall down to Arvada and averaged 20.6 for the trip. I threw on bigger tires though, so I don't expect to get the full EPA 24mpg. Keep trying the other tips in @Trukbed article - the "get up to speed then back to electric" seems to make a difference, IMO.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's not bad. I'd also say give it a bit more time to break in. I only have ~1600 miles but it seems to be getting slightly better MPG with each trip. Just ran from Flatirons Mall down to Arvada and averaged 20.6 for the trip. I threw on bigger tires though, so I don't expect to get the full EPA 24mpg. Keep trying the other tips in @Trukbed article - the "get up to speed then back to electric" seems to make a difference, IMO.
I was raised in Louisville.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Today... 60mph. Some city getting out of where I was. 95% highway. Load in bed, not heavy heavy. Aerodynamics were off-ish.

Here's my mpg after doing my methods.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20211031_124855
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20211031_124807

Now the next pic is what it was getting there (total, highway plus city, about 95%/5%). This pic has more hours longer because I am sitting at a grocery store right now waiting for someone to get Halloween candy for the neighborhood kids for tonight...on the way back home.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20211031_111436

Lastly, this is what it was going to pick up the load, before the lastly jaunt thru the city before getting there. Clearly, city improved it..
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 20211031_110055

Went from 11% electric only miles to about 16% electric only from the city portion becoming a factor. The first 10 miles I should note: is northern VA loudoun county country roads at 50 to 55mph, but hilly another to allow some real playing with the pedal.

Ron in Oregon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 hybrid
Occupation
retired
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.
Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? D3F8C773-4BB4-482F-BEB9-8C0D00848F99
f
First tank. ~28 gallons. From the thread discussion, this looks to be as expected.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2018 Explorer Platinum
I just bought my truck last week and so far I’m a little puzzled. I have driven about 150 miles (about 175 miles total on the truck), and I think about 40-50 miles electric with only 17 mpg. Is that normal? Does it go up after the break in period?

Sponsored

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok I was off a little on my numbers. 122 miles with 42 being electric. 172 miles on the truck. Average speeds between 25-55 mph.
A6DC69FE-AD30-49E3-86DC-B56D295C7DE8.jpeg
950E0EE9-D0AA-4AA7-9BAA-C71D47CCF88C.jpeg
Yes it's normal, because it appeared its idled more than it's been driven. Which is a factor in this equation.

Even though engine shuts off, it comes on for a time to charge up battery. Those periods will in fact bring the MPG down.

The amount of time I can tell you idled in the ready position, any actual ICE gas truck would be looking at an average of 12 to 10mpg at this point.

You have 9 hours of time at only 122 miles. That's an acerage of 13.5 mph which indicates it sat for a good while, while on and ready.

A normal time to get 122 miles would be between 120 and 180 minutes, so about 2 to 3 hours. That tells me you idled a lot. Because if it was stop and go for 6 hours more than 3 hours, you'd have some awesome MPG.

Drive it some more and you should see it rise pretty quickly.

Just keep in mind your 17 is way better than if you idled in a regular truck that long without moving.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes it's normal, because it appeared its idled more than it's been driven. Which is a factor in this equation.

Even though engine shuts off, it comes on for a time to charge up battery. Those periods will in fact bring the MPG down.

The amount of time I can tell you idled in the ready position, any actual ICE gas truck would be looking at an average of 12 to 10mpg at this point.

You have 9 hours of time at only 122 miles. That's an acerage of 13.5 mph which indicates it sat for a good while, while on and ready.

A normal time to get 122 miles would be between 120 and 180 minutes, so about 2 to 3 hours. That tells me you idled a lot. Because if it was stop and go for 6 hours more than 3 hours, you'd have some awesome MPG.

Drive it some more and you should see it rise pretty quickly.

Just keep in mind your 17 is way better than if you idled in a regular truck that long without moving.
Thanks for the insight. I am coming from a 2018 xlt with the 2.7. I am doing the same driving, but in the 2.7 I was averaging about 18.8 mpg. Not a big deal, but yes I sit in pickup line to get the kids from school every day.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the insight. I am coming from a 2018 xlt with the 2.7. I am doing the same driving, but in the 2.7 I was averaging about 18.8 mpg. Not a big deal, but yes I sit in pickup line to get the kids from school every day.
I'm willing to bet that 18.8 mpg in the 2.7 Eco was after years and miles averaged...

Vs this, where you're comparing a long period of the 2.7 eco to 122 miles of now, with 6 hours of idle or more.

Incomparable as far as variables by far.

I have confidence, TOTAL, you will be seeing a more lifetime average be around 20 to 22. 4 mpg better than the lifetime of the 2.7 Eco.

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also let me put it this way, I idle more than anyone I know, including any post in here. I am at 12K miles, and at around 540 hours engine ON time. And I am looking at 20 to 21 lifetime so far.

But I do also use many of my 25 hybrid driving tips and techniques. You should check them out, especially if you're new to Hybrids, like many powerboost owners are. They mostly came from trucks.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? untitled-video

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm willing to bet that 18.8 mpg in the 2.7 Eco was after years and miles averaged...

Vs this, where you're comparing a long period of the 2.7 eco to 122 miles of now, with 6 hours of idle or more.

Incomparable as far as variables by far.

I have confidence, TOTAL, you will be seeing a more lifetime average be around 20 to 22. 4 mpg better than the lifetime of the 2.7 Eco.
I don’t typically pay attention to lifetime stats. That truck seemed very efficient with the 2.7. I reset the trip every tank. Now the driving may be slightly more mixed because I’ve only had the power boost for a week. Honestly, I should have just shut it off in the line waiting, but I normally don’t. I know I won’t when it gets colder lol. I have been doing ok with the hybrid aspect, but I may try the coaches and all that.
Sponsored