Sponsored

Deleted member 4000

Shout out the 2021 f150 power boost. Had power outage for 2 days and ran the whole house with no problem.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost Pro Power Onboard Generator  VS Power outage! 20210918_084344

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BJD

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2121 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Didn’t work for me. Truck thought it had a ground fault and shut off. Another forum said I needed a three pole transfer switch but my electrician couldn’t find one. My house is about 15 years old.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Didn’t work for me. Truck thought it had a ground fault and shut off. Another forum said I needed a three pole transfer switch but my electrician couldn’t find one. My house is about 15 years old.
You can remove the ground connection in your generator cable and it will work.

Dmusick757

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost xl
If I don't have a transfer switch yet what can I do in the event we lose power at some point?

Sponsored

KevinTriplett

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer Ret.

BigBluegen14

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
If I don't have a transfer switch yet what can I do in the event we lose power at some point?
Without a safe transfer switch I believe you're best off running extension cords in to the house. There may be other ways I'm unaware of though.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
You can remove the neutral/ground bond in your box.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
You can remove the neutral/ground bond in your box.
Thats a horrible idea and against National Electrical Code for separately derived electrical systems, which this truck is. By the right equipment to do the job right

Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Thats a horrible idea and against National Electrical Code for separately derived electrical systems, which this truck is. By the right equipment to do the job right
@ Hullguy; aren’t you being a little unreasonable by suggesting that they don’t “half ass” “jury rig” some makeshift solution that will potentially jeopardize their home, truck and possibly their lives…suggesting that people to do the right thing, the right way for the right reasons, how dare you?

Mike50

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB, 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Retired
I absolutely do not think I’m being a “half Ass” or a full ass! I’m a licensed Master Electrician of 38 years, am proud of my craftsmanship and trade. If I was a “half ass” I wouldn’t give a shit about people doing things electrically that could kill them, or harm or kill others. Yeah it will work until it burns down is not my mantra at all!!!
I think you completely misinterpreted his post. He didn’t call you half assed. His comments were supportive of your comments even while being light-hearted.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I absolutely do not think I’m being a “half Ass” or a full ass! I’m a licensed Master Electrician of 38 years, am proud of my craftsmanship and trade. If I was a “half ass” I wouldn’t give a shit about people doing things electrically that could kill them, or harm or kill others. Yeah it will work until it burns down is not my mantra at all!!!
He was definitely being sarcastic.

I tried making this argument on the f150forum but it wasn't going super well it seemed, a lot of it falling down to it being easier to just use the main panel. Definitely never any consequences for taking the easy way though.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I completely understand.

Mine was temporary for three days.

Being a separately derived electrical system, the truck has the neutral/ ground bonded.

The right equipment to do the right job doesn't exist currently. The right equipment would give me more than 6 to 10 circuits.

And, it is better than not connecting the ground wire on the cord from the truck to the house.
Sponsored