Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
The 2022 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide is out with max towing, max payload, , max cargo weight, max loaded trailer weight, and GVWR info.

See attached PDF, page 3, 13, 19-24 for info specific to the F-150. There is also a new Tow Capability Calculator on page 50 which you can fill-in and it will automatically calculate the tow capability within the PDF.

[Download the PDF]
Sponsored

Attachments

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
The 2022 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide is out with max towing, max payload, , max cargo weight, max loaded trailer weight, and GVWR info.

See attached PDF, page 3, 13, 19-24 for info specific to the F-150. There is also a new Tow Capability Calculator on page 50 which you can fill-in and it will automatically calculate the tow capability within the PDF.

[Download the PDF]
So would the calculator work for my 2021 lariat as well?

Last edited:

ESG406

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21F150 Hyb, 15ExpEL 2 '06 Esc Hyb 99&01elect Rngrs
Occupation
Retired

[Download the PDF]
Page 18 is a chart of towing equipment and towing packages. Can you or anyone tell me what the "X" and "S" notations in the chart mean?
Thanks,

RandyBobanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (HDPP+MTTP)
It really is too bad they don't list the weight of all the various options or provide an estimated payload capacity rating within the Build & Price tool. It would be really useful if you are custom ordering a truck with the intention of pulling a load that is very likely to be near the upper limits of as-built payload capacity. As of now it's really a bit of a guessing game even for those who really understand all of the very complicated calculations/factors and have the tech savvy web searching skills to find the few option weights they do list in unpublished internal documents and/or find forum posts showing the payload stickers of similarly equipped trucks (if you can find one that is similarly equipped). Ford clearly has the ability to do this, but choose not to. I assume they have some legitimate reason for not providing that info, but man was it frustrating for me as I was in the process of custom ordering.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
It really is too bad they don't list the weight of all the various options or provide an estimated payload capacity rating within the Build & Price tool. It would be really useful if you are custom ordering a truck with the intention of pulling a load that is very likely to be near the upper limits of as-built payload capacity. As of now it's really a bit of a guessing game even for those who really understand all of the very complicated calculations/factors and have the tech savvy web searching skills to find the few option weights they do list in unpublished internal documents and/or find forum posts showing the payload stickers of similarly equipped trucks (if you can find one that is similarly equipped). Ford clearly has the ability to do this, but choose not to. I assume they have some legitimate reason for not providing that info, but man was it frustrating for me as I was in the process of custom ordering.
Correct, Ford ABSOLUTELY does know what a specific optioned trim will weigh (and therefore the resulting payload).

First, because for a while they had a tool up, you typed in your VIN number (which in the Ford data systems specifies a specific set of options and trims) and it gave you your payload. They took that down earlier this year.

Second, at the end of the line where they print the payload sticker to put in the driver's door jamb, that is NOT from individually weighing each truck as it rolls of the line, it is using the same VIN based data base to add up all the options assigned to that trucks build.

Using that same data base (each option = x lbs) they could put that into the Build & Config so you could see how to option your truck for the payload you want.

They just don't.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You can download the documentation that literally lists the weight you would add to the base weight of the truck you are building. It's tedious, of course, but there's a few guys on the forums that have gotten within ~30-50lbs of bullseye on their trucks.

But yes, it's true that Ford (and ANY other manufacturer) could absolutely run a weight tally within the website configurator and with the typical disclaimer provide the shopper with Payload predictions.

And as most of us know, especially with a 1/2 ton towing an RV, you will run out of Payload far sooner than the towing capacity that is marketed by everyone.

https://fordbbas.com/publications

Go to "vehicle specs" > 2021 F150 SpecsR1

It's about 50 pages but it is very granular and lists the instructions of how to use it and the weight for anything and everything, to add to the base weight and then subtract from GVW. Even things like optional wheels is listed.

Ford F-150 2022 F-150 Towing Guide With Tow Capability Calculator [PDF Download] Screenshot_20211011-212227_Edge

RandyBobanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (HDPP+MTTP)
Yea but when I was first looking they didn't have that document available yet, so I had to use 2020 version and who knows if something changed in a significant way or not. Also it doesn't list every possible option, including some that I suspect could be rather significant, such as FX4 package, Heavy Duty Payload Package, running boards...and a TON of other ones that I suspect are less impactful. When you suspect your load will be very close to the limits, even all of the minor options they don't list could add up to a significant amount.

Furthermore, they don't advertise that information as being available in the places where one might logically be looking, such as the RV and Trailer Towing Guide. You can't expect the dealerships to provide that information either. I can't tell you how many dealership people I talked to that were clueless about how to calculate estimated payload capacity, they didn't even know the option weights were a factor let alone whether those weights were published and where to find them. Customers are left to their own devices to try to figure it out on their own which is just asking for trouble considering how complex the calculations are the lack of all the required inputs to truly do the calculation correctly. This is NOT easy to understand even for very intelligent customers...and lets be honest, the majority of customers do not have the know-how to figure this out on their own, if they even knew the importance of it in the first place.

The point is, Ford has the ability to make this extremely easy for the customer which would give them another leg-up on the competition, level-set customer expectations, improve the customer experience, and most importantly improve SAFETY...but they don't do it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I completely agree @RandyBobanders
It's amazing how difficult it is for the consumer to discern the Payload capacity of a truck that isn't right in front of them with the yellow tag on the driver's door. Yet the "Towing Capacity" is touted by every commercial and brochure and even some moderately informed sales staff.

But I do know a few guys that if you told them enough information about a certain truck, they could guess pretty accurately what the sticker will say. Imagine how long it took deciphering all the options for them to do that?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
By the way, I looked, and almost every option does list the weight that you would add to the "Base Weight" of the truck configuration you are working from.

The big hits are things like tailgate step (40lbs), Running Boards (40-57 depending on type), Panoramic Moon Roof (63) 36 gallon tank (83lbs. Note: Base Weight included full tank of fuel, so the larger tank is the weight of the additional fuel)

There is a long list of all the other options as well, even some that are 0 or 1lb.

So technically, with due diligence you probably could get granular enough to get very close to a predicted Payload Capacity.

It would be so easy for the Ford Build site to include the functionality.
Sponsored