• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Any insights or projections on which Lightning trims / options will fall on which side of that spectrum? I am willing to trade away a few of my wants (or add things that I am on the fence over) if it substantially impacts my place in line.
Agreed. I might make some changes to avoid long-delay items.

It doesn't seem like there should be many that are SPECIFIC to one trim level or option package, though, right?

Most of the truck is either:

a) A carryover from the gas version (so there should be fewer surprise, first time we've made this thing in a while issues like the Bronco hardtops)

OR

b) Common to all Lightnings (so most/all Lightnings would be similarly effected)

And if a or b is true, then it shouldn't result in the kind of huge differences in trim level availability like the Bronco had.

I can't think of many trim-specific or option-specific pieces that could cause those problems.

The grills are unique to the Lightning AND specific Lightning trims.

Wheels are unique to the Lightning AND specific Lightning trims.

Batteries (SR vs ER) are unique to the Lightning AND specific Lightning trims.

What else is a) unique to the Lightning AND b) unique to a certain trim (such that one trim would be delayed compared to any other trim). Not much I don't think.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Agreed. I might make some changes to avoid long-delay items.

It doesn't seem like there should be many that are SPECIFIC to one trim level or option package, though, right?

Most of the truck is either:

a) A carryover from the gas version (so there should be fewer surprise, first time we've made this thing in a while issues like the Bronco hardtops)

OR

b) Common to all Lightnings (so most/all Lightnings would be similarly effected)

And if a or b is true, then it shouldn't result in the kind of huge differences in trim level availability like the Bronco had.

I can't think of many trim-specific or option-specific pieces that could cause those problems.

The grills are unique to the Lightning AND specific Lightning trims.

Wheels are unique to the Lightning AND specific Lightning trims.

Batteries (SR vs ER) are unique to the Lightning AND specific Lightning trims.

What else is a) unique to the Lightning AND b) unique to a certain trim (such that one trim would be delayed compared to any other trim). Not much I don't think.
Paint color maybe (supply chain issues)?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
In my mind I feel like this particular survey is right on. I personally feel it's more accurate than what Ford posted for their results, or the demographic they picked had a bias.
If you are looking for Standard Range - your drawn to the price tag of the PRO and can't justify the cost jump to the short list of features added in the XLT
If you need the range you are figuring out finances to make the jump to XLT-ER.
Then the remaining 1/3 of people are going for Lariat/Platinum.
Agreed.

It makes perfect sense that many people will chose the best value and the one that's affordable to a much larger chunk of the population (Pro SR).

Then, almost no one is going to chose the XLT SR because it's $13k for like $3k worth of stuff.

Then many will chose the XLT ER because it's the cheapest way to get the ER.

And not many are going to spend $60k on the Lariat SR and not get the ER battery... so it's either you've got enough money for Lariat ER / Platinum, or you're going to stick to XLT ER.

The results make perfect sense, IMO.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Paint color maybe (supply chain issues)?
I guess my question is:

What supply chain issues are likely to affect only particular Lightnings and not ALL Lightnings.

If it affects all Lightnings (like a motor controller or body panels or something), then adjusting our orders won't really help. It's only if particular trim-specific parts are unavailable, like the grill that's unique the Platinum or something. Or the Pro/XLT-specific wheels, for instance.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
15" screen on Lariat+

Nirvana leather on Platinum
Are those unique to the Lightning or shared with the gas versions?

Of course, there could still be supply constraints on parts shared with the gas versions (see chip shortage), but the BIG issue with the Bronco was a brand new part that didn't exist before and was unique to certain orders (Hardtop).

Basically, I'm just kind of wishfully thinking that the Lightning won't have the same issues because there aren't many all-new parts or parts that are specific to certain trim levels.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Just got this email from my dealer:

“I was going to send out an email tomorrow with that information attached. You beat me to it. Yes, Ford has on its training web site that they are in fact opening order banks on Tuesday, October 26th. I am very excited to take all the orders for the new Lightning. Any other information, such as an ordering guide, I will also be sharing so you can get an idea before we take the orders.

Thank you and have a great day!”

Folks on this forum have access to information sooner than our dealerships.???

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

Of course, there could still be supply constraints on parts shared with the gas versions (see chip shortage), but the BIG issue with the Bronco was a brand new part that didn't exist before and was unique to certain orders (Hardtop).

Basically, I'm just kind of wishfully thinking that the Lightning won't have the same issues because there aren't many all-new parts or parts that are specific to certain trim levels.
Unique.

tkeru408

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2022 F150 Lightning Preorder

I believe the tailgates are unique to the Lightning, at least some of them, and are different depending on the Lightning model.

Plus, I think supply constraints shared with the gas versions could still wreak havoc on Lightning deliveries, the problem is you don't know which part is going to cause the problem at the time you order. On the gas versions, weren't there supply issues with the lie-flat seats, flip-down work surface, max towing components, and some other things? Those types of things could randomly pop up again in 2022 and cause delays to certain Lightnings in addition to certain gas versions.

I sure hope that isn't the case, but I'm not going to try to read the tea leaves on any of that. I'm just going to order what I want and if it takes a little longer to get here then so be it. I'm perfectly content in my current '18 F150 until my Lightning arrives (hopefully at some point in 2022).

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
.......the problem is you don't know which part is going to cause the problem at the time you order.

... I'm just going to order what I want and if it takes a little longer to get here then so be it......
This is a good policy to adhere to. Not only is the supply chain unpredictable - but trying to massage an order now could land you in a doubly worse spot where you've made concessions up front and you STILL get stung by a shortage.

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Any insights or projections on which Lightning trims / options will fall on which side of that spectrum? I am willing to trade away a few of my wants (or add things that I am on the fence over) if it substantially impacts my place in line.
I won't know yet. Generally more content rich is harder to get.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I won't know yet. Generally more content rich is harder to get.
Help me lean more towards Pro for the first time through... Can always upgrade later.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
When are they going to announce final specs if orders open in 3 weeks? It’s odd to me to be this close and still not know final battery size, EPA range, towing, pricing, and options.