Sponsored

Stocktontakos

First Name
Stockton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
why is the 360 degree camera not included in the max tow package or the 502A package?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
why is the 360 degree camera not included in the max tow package or the 502A package?
Good question for Ford. You could ask those things all day about various features. The answer is money, and they have strategically included/excluded features in order to maximize profits.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I forgot to mention...

When I was at my local dealer on Friday, they had 2 XLT next to each other, one with regular tow package and one with max tow. I decided to see if I can find a difference. The squeeze trigger and +/- gain buttons were identical. But I did not go through the trailer menu as I did not have the key at the time, and did not do this on my test drive as I would have needed both vehicle's keys to compare.

Ruelj4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
I have done quite a bit of looking around trying to find what the base trailer tow package ($995) adds to a Platinum PowerBoost build with 701A (includes tow tech package). From what I can tell both will tow 11,000lbs. To me it looks like you don’t really get anything for the additional $995. I got that I get a different axle if I add the Max Tow, but I don’t need that for what I am looking to do which is tow a 6800lb ish camper. Can anyone confirm that the 701A config will also tow up to 11,000, or am I missing something?

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I have done quite a bit of looking around trying to find what the base trailer tow package ($995) adds to a Platinum PowerBoost build with 701A (includes tow tech package). From what I can tell both will tow 11,000lbs. To me it looks like you don’t really get anything for the additional $995. I got that I get a different axle if I add the Max Tow, but I don’t need that for what I am looking to do which is tow a 6800lb ish camper. Can anyone confirm that the 701A config will also tow up to 11,000, or am I missing something?
I've ordered the Platinum Powerboost with 701A and the standard Tow Package (I didn't go with max tow). I didn't need the upgraded bumper, or the slightly larger breaks, which I think are the two largest differences between Max Tow and Trailer Tow. But if you don't opt for either, I'm not sure that you get the pro-trailer back up assist, blis, etc. You need one or the other to take advantage of towing (and getting a better rear axel ratio).

Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I am confused that the tow guide says you need max tow or trailer tow package to tow over 7000, though for this year coolers are not listed as upgraded. I am looking at the tow tech, but don't want to limit myself to 7,000 on the PB. According to the documentation it can do up to 11k, I will never tow that much. Would like to know if there is any reason I should get the trailer tow package or max tow. It is annoying as the Lariat PB comes with the elocker 3.73 and can't use a 36gal tank. Adding the tow tech gives me everything on paper that the trailer tow package has. I don't see where the tech tow should be limited to 7000. I wonder if the trailer tow guide is wrong?

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I am confused that the tow guide says you need max tow or trailer tow package to tow over 7000, though for this year coolers are not listed as upgraded. I am looking at the tow tech, but don't want to limit myself to 7,000 on the PB. According to the documentation it can do up to 11k, I will never tow that much. Would like to know if there is any reason I should get the trailer tow package or max tow. It is annoying as the Lariat PB comes with the elocker 3.73 and can't use a 36gal tank. Adding the tow tech gives me everything on paper that the trailer tow package has. I don't see where the tech tow should be limited to 7000. I wonder if the trailer tow guide is wrong?
I’ll double check but I don’t think it’s wrong. It adds a 3/4 float axle, larger rear brakes, and a reinforced bumper. All add to capacity.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I’ll double check but I don’t think it’s wrong. It adds a 3/4 float axle, larger rear brakes, and a reinforced bumper. All add to capacity.
Add to *pull* capacity apparently, but not *payload* capacity! I am still going with max tow, but it is silly in the specs to trade some payload to add pull, when we are already payload limited.

I feel like it is just a side effect of how the specs are written. In reality, I feel like a max tow truck should be a more robust truck, they just don't re-roll the GVWR# spec.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
Addition Trailer tower guidance.
Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 tow guide.PNG
Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 two guide 2.PNG
Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 two guide 3.PNG

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Yeah it does show that for the Max tow, though I am wondering if the upgraded radiator, trans cooler, and oil cooler are now standard in 2021. The 2020 had the coolers and the radiator as well as the front stabilizer bar. Though the 2021 doesn't show it in the towing guide.

2020 Tow Guide:

Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 f150-2020.PNG

2021 Tow Guide:
Ford F-150 Tow Package Breakdown For 2021 F-150 f150-2021.PNG

Note that Aux. Auto Trans. Oil Cooler and Radiator upgrade are omitted from 2021.

I also see this in the towing guide:
5 Do not exceed a trailer weight
of 7,000 lbs. (3,175 kg) or 36 sq. ft. (3.4 sq. m) trailer frontal
area with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer
Tow Package (53A).

Looking at the 3.5L Hybrid V6^5:
3.73: 17,000 = 11,000 towing.

My question is can I tow more than 7,000lbs with the Tow Technology Package (17T) or do I need to get the Max Tow or Trailer Tow Package to pull up to the theoretical max of 11,000+ lbs? As the tow guide doesn't show any updated coolers, then what does the Trailer Tow and Max Tow do to give you to tow above 7,000lbs? I currently see nothing that would prevent me from doing it as the Lariat comes equipped with Class 4 and 7pin. Other than the small disclaimer about not towing more than 7,000lbs w/o Trailer Tow or Max Tow, I am trying to figure out if this is a miss print or is there something else that has been omitted?

Note: I know payload is going to be limitation and I won't tow 11,000. Though I do tow boats that can be as low as 6% tongue weight and I want to fully understand what I am buying.

Sponsored

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I'm not sure what the upgraded bumper adds on the max tow. I've never towed anything with the ball on the bumper. Only in the receiver hitch.

On my 2017 it had a different (slower) steering rack, larger front sway bar, coolers, Springs and a different receiver hitch if I remember correctly.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I'm not sure what the upgraded bumper adds on the max tow. I've never towed anything with the ball on the bumper. Only in the receiver hitch.

On my 2017 it had a different (slower) steering rack, larger front sway bar, coolers, Springs and a different receiver hitch if I remember correctly.
It seems to mean an upgraded/thicker frame.

OP
OP
BoilerTimmay

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Yeah it does show that for the Max tow, though I am wondering if the upgraded radiator, trans cooler, and oil cooler are now standard in 2021. The 2020 had the coolers and the radiator as well as the front stabilizer bar. Though the 2021 doesn't show it in the towing guide.

2020 Tow Guide:

f150-2020.PNG

2021 Tow Guide:
f150-2021.PNG

Note that Aux. Auto Trans. Oil Cooler and Radiator upgrade are omitted from 2021.

I also see this in the towing guide:
5 Do not exceed a trailer weight
of 7,000 lbs. (3,175 kg) or 36 sq. ft. (3.4 sq. m) trailer frontal
area with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer
Tow Package (53A).

Looking at the 3.5L Hybrid V6^5:
3.73: 17,000 = 11,000 towing.

My question is can I tow more than 7,000lbs with the Tow Technology Package (17T) or do I need to get the Max Tow or Trailer Tow Package to pull up to the theoretical max of 11,000+ lbs? As the tow guide doesn't show any updated coolers, then what does the Trailer Tow and Max Tow do to give you to tow above 7,000lbs? I currently see nothing that would prevent me from doing it as the Lariat comes equipped with Class 4 and 7pin. Other than the small disclaimer about not towing more than 7,000lbs w/o Trailer Tow or Max Tow, I am trying to figure out if this is a miss print or is there something else that has been omitted?

Note: I know payload is going to be limitation and I won't tow 11,000. Though I do tow boats that can be as low as 6% tongue weight and I want to fully understand what I am buying.
Do you have a link to this guide?

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I'm still telling you guys, I get the eerie feeling that with "trailer tow package" you do NOT get the INTEGRATED trailer brake controller of the max tow. I would absolutely hate for people to try to save a few bucks because they only feel they don't need an upgraded bumper on max tow (especially on the hybrids) when I feel that integrated controller is important.

In the previous years it is getting clearer in searching older forums and also dealer website descriptions, that the integrated controller is a standalone option you would have to add, and it makes up for the gap in max tow vs tow package price.

I am VERY curious as to what "trailer brake controller" even means in the regular tow package... I want to see interior shots of where the squeeze trigger goes, as well as the in dash trailer menus, but I realize NO ONE does that in any review as they only get the trucks for a few hours and keep talking about the folding shifter for half of it.
This makes it ever worse.. When clicking on the "Integrated Trailer Brake Controller" it states.

Requires Class IV Trailer Hitch.
Included on King Ranch®, Platinum and Limited with Trailer Tow Package, Max Trailer Tow Package or Tow Technology Package.

Available on XL, XLT and LARIAT.

So that makes it clear as mud...
This might be old news at this point but I did some research and I think the note confusing people is this one:

NOTE: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Integrated Brake Controller (67T). Integrated Brake Controller (67T) is a standalone option and must be ordered separately

However that Note is only on the Hitch package on both the B&P and on the Order Guide. I believe that the note is a typo and it means to say that ordering the Hitch package does not include the ITBC. It should say something more like "NOTE:Ordering this Trailer Tow Package ".

Elsewhere in the Order Guide I also found this description under the XL, XLT and Lariat options:

67T - Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (included w/ Trailer Tow Pkg. (53A),Max Trailer Tow Pkg. (53C) or Tow Technology Pkg (17T))

This matches the B&P when you select those packages on those trims it adds the controller option too.
Sponsored