Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I was perusing the 2021 Ford F-150 owner's manual online when I came across this. This is a PDF of Ford's Pro Trailer Backup Assist and how to install and use the sensors with the system. I haven't been able to make too much sense of it yet, but I'm sure some of you towing gurus will appreciate the info!
Sponsored

Attachments

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, what in the hell is the "sensor" for? I have the sticker for mine. You get a pack of several stickers so you can put them on multiple trailers, it comes in the glove box when you get the truck. But a SENSOR?!? Now I have more research to do!

Wally27

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Escape, 2020 Ford Edge
Occupation
Cabinet Maker
Ok, what in the hell is the "sensor" for? I have the sticker for mine. You get a pack of several stickers so you can put them on multiple trailers, it comes in the glove box when you get the truck. But a SENSOR?!? Now I have more research to do!
I believe the sensor is for fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
What are the stickers for, and where on the trailer do you put them?

Last edited:

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What are the stickers for, and where on the trailer do you put them?
The sticker is so simple, the sync menu shows you in the camera image the zone to place the sticker on your trailer's hitch. As long as it is in that zone, it will hunt for that sticker when you enter pro trailer backup. Then it uses the sticker to see what angle the trailer is at all times.

I noted before that it isn't *necessary* for backing up trailers, most of us know how to do it. BUT it is fantastic at keeping the trailer straight once it is lined up. FAR better than me doing it manually. It knows the exact rate to unwind the steering wheel as you let off the accel to keep it pointed the same direction. To me, THAT is the biggest advantage.

I only have the tailgate cam in my current XLT, so I'm really looking forward to also having the side views and 360 view as extra helpers! I will be able to see the pedestals and whatnot without the wife trying to scream directions at me.

Cmfrasher

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I was perusing the 2021 Ford F-150 owner's manual online when I came across this. This is a PDF of Ford's Pro Trailer Backup Assist and how to install and use the sensors with the system. I haven't been able to make too much sense of it yet, but I'm sure some of you towing gurus will appreciate the info!
I have a 2018 Platinum with this feature.

It works great for boat trailers or utility trailers. My salesman and I programmed this feature for my 17.5 ft flats boat and trailer. We met one afternoon in his parking lot where it was flat and had room to pull forward and back up till the on board computer was programmed.

On the 2018 Platinum you control the gas and break as you turn the know in the direction you want to turn. The wheel will turn in the proper direction. Just remember the knob is spring loaded and if you turn loose of it, it will return to the center position. It works great.

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2018 Platinum with this feature.

It works great for boat trailers or utility trailers. My salesman and I programmed this feature for my 17.5 ft flats boat and trailer. We met one afternoon in his parking lot where it was flat and had room to pull forward and back up till the on board computer was programmed.

On the 2018 Platinum you control the gas and break as you turn the know in the direction you want to turn. The wheel will turn in the proper direction. Just remember the knob is spring loaded and if you turn loose of it, it will return to the center position. It works great.
I found that I can back a trailer in to spots easier myself (I’m old). The going back straight works very well.

jasenj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 Tacoma (looking to buy F150)
I believe the sensor is for fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers
Actually, fifth wheel & gooseneck are not supported.

According to the doc heffer86 posted:
NON-CONVENTIONAL​
TRAILER EXAMPLES​
The functionality of Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Trailer Reverse Guidance is not available for Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck type trailers.​
Also according to the "Quick Start Guide" you can either use the sensor OR the sticker.
Your 2021 F-150 has two options for Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Trailer Reverse Guidance setup.​
Your vehicle came with a trailer sensor kit.​
...​
Your vehicle will be eligible to receive a vehicle system update that will allow trailers to be set up with the stickers in this kit.​

So you use the sensor or the stickers.

Last edited:

Wally27

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Escape, 2020 Ford Edge
Occupation
Cabinet Maker

NON-CONVENTIONAL​
TRAILER EXAMPLES​
The functionality of Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Trailer Reverse Guidance is not available for Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck type trailers.​
Also according to the "Quick Start Guide" you can either use the sensor OR the sticker.
Your 2021 F-150 has two options for Pro Trailer Backup Assist with Trailer Reverse Guidance setup.​
...​
Your vehicle will be eligible to receive a vehicle system update that will allow trailers to be set up with the stickers in this kit.​

Thanks, I thought I had read something or seen something that it was for 5th wheel/goosenecks. Thanks for the correction

Sponsored

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB

NON-CONVENTIONAL​
TRAILER EXAMPLES​
...​

The following YouTube video from Ford seems to suggest otherwise:

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
The following YouTube video from Ford seems to suggest otherwise:

The truck in the above video appears to be a F250?

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
I have a 2021 F150 King Ranch with max tow. It came with a sensor and a cable. The sensor mounts on the frame of the trailer and connects to the truck. From what I have read (i have not tried it) once the sensor is connected and you perform a few maneuvers the truck will figure out the length of the trailer and store in the trailer profile. The truck no long has a 4 pin light plug. it has been replaced by the plug for the sensor. They now include an adapter to utilize a four pin light hookup.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2021 F150 King Ranch with max tow. It came with a sensor and a cable. The sensor mounts on the frame of the trailer and connects to the truck. From what I have read (i have not tried it) once the sensor is connected and you perform a few maneuvers the truck will figure out the length of the trailer and store in the trailer profile. The truck no long has a 4 pin light plug. it has been replaced by the plug for the sensor. They now include an adapter to utilize a four pin light hookup.
Are you saying that with the sensor, you don't have to take measurements, it just figures it out? Because that would be sweet...

Otherwise I would think the sticker method is superior. Less cabling around your tongue, and if you have multiple trailers that would suck ass to keep moving it and securing it in the exact same spot as before. The sticker kit came with multiple stickers.
Sponsored